Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Can't get Computer to boot up even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
then what will that do ??? Am i going to lose everything on my hard drive? Is this the only way to fix it is to restore the hard drive??

What would have happened - why would this do this?

Advertisements

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Gateway is telling me the only way to fix it is to restore using the system restore cd which will wipe my hard drive out

Is there another way to save what is on my hard drive?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
This stinks - i don't know anyone with the windows xp restore cd so have to use the one that came w/computer & it will wipe out all on my hard drive. I can't believe this is happening.

What would cause this to happen???? Its same as that other person tonight too
mine says same

unmountable_boot_volume & wont' let ya boot up in safe mode or anything

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you got another PC that we can hook it up too as a slave?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes i have a dell desktop that is 4 1/2 years old & never gave me a problem & another Dell laptop that is 4 yrs old also no problems. Hmmm guess Dell is MUCH better than GATEway.

Computer is a pc of crap & I already put the restore cd in the computer cuz the gateway lady said i could do a non destructive restore but nope not ours - it only had destructive restore & that's what its doing.

Guess if it works thats a good thing after all this but its hours in downloads again & updates & finding drivers & purchasing disks again for all the online downloads of games/programs we had. This is so unbelievable.

I just am wondering what happened at this point & what did we do wrong to cause this?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Honestly, I am sorry about that you lost most of your stuff, but I will do anything in my power to get it back.

OK here's what we need to do.

I need you to open up the gateway. Find the hard drive. Unscrew it from its tightly sealed position.

Now you need to open up your dell, put in the drive as a SLAVE. Do NOT unplug your dell harddrive. Try booting into windows now and see if you can access your intact data.

It may be possible the drive is going out, maybe when you wee playing the game , the hard drive just couldn't take it and just failed. Manufacturer hard drives just don't seem to last anymore nowadays.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Right now its still doing the system restore on the gateway.

Should i try to see if the computer will boot up after the restore is done & leave well enough alone?

I didn't have alot of data files on that computer - it was the gaming one with all the updated drivers, downloads for the games etc that take hours to download & find online too.

Or should i still try what you said with the hard drive & taking it out & if so which would be the hard drive. I have upgraded memory & graphics cards & replaced batteries & fans but that is about it. Never a hard drive.

I do greatly appreciate your patience & help with this tonight.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Aww, you went through with it :whistling:

Well I can help you get the programs and games if you would like :blink:

If the drive still doesn't wanna boot up, then the drive is dead

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It booted back up but its at the beginning of a new computer with nothing on it.

Now i am going thru all the set up things again with speakers, computer name etc.

So is there a way to still get games etc from the hard drive or did it wipe them all out?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ya wiped them all out :whistling:

Which games were they? I am good at finding games because I game myself :blink:

Advertisements

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well mainly we play Everquest 2 but had a bunch of other games on there like Battlefield Vietnam & that has tons of updates - i have the main game disks but the updates will take forever to find & download again. And all the driver updates for our video cards & wireless internet etc.

Also had Vanguard loaded etc.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well those games I cant search on the internet :whistling:

Well whenever you get everything back up and loading again or have trouble, just post back.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 16 March 2007 - 10:46 PM.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok well thanks so much for all your help. Hmmm this was one way to get rid of all the unwanted junk running on the computer i guess lol.

I do have another question though -what is the best anti spyware program & also the best anti virus program since i'll have to be getting new ones for the gateway.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well I would recommend these:

Antivirus - AVG FREE
link

ANTISPYWARE - Spyware Terminator
link

Blocks Spyware before entering
SPYWARE BLASTER
link

You can also get Ad-Aware SE and Spybot if you prefer :whistling:

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you!!! I had norton & it seems so crappy lately so wanted to get another one since i have to start from scratch on that computer again.