Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

heatsink

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
VANTEC AEROFLOW VP4-C7040
im looking at one of these ^
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835110008

and i was wondering about how it runs, i read about how it works, but i wanted to know like quality wise?

im also looking at this
http://www.northq.co...ers/nq3310.html

Edited by AnthonyJ, 17 March 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
When looking at coolers the main thing you want to worry about is the CFM, this is a mesurement of how much air the fan will move.
The first one at 35.5 CFM is relitivly low, i've seen ones go up to 80, but then they are circling around the 50$ mark.
The second, from what I can see doesn't even mention how much CFM it has, making me question how good it actually is.

If your looking at replacing an existing stock cooler, the first will perform around the same, not really better, as for the second since it doesn't list CFM I really couldn't tell you if its decent or not.

James

Edited by james_8970, 17 March 2007 - 01:43 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
this is the second one
NorthQ NQ-3310BLA Heatsink & Fan

General Features:
Copper core heat sink
Hybrid bearing fan
80 x 80 x 25 mm fan
12 VDC
1500 - 2800 (+/- 10%) RPM fan speed
27.2 - 38.3 CFM air flow
17 - 21 dBa noise level
Built-in blue LED light
Fan control with built in alarm
Reduces CPU temperature
Extends CPU life
3-pin fan connector (7-inch cord length from 3-pin to fan)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol I was blind and yes I see it now.
But if your replacing an existing stock heat sink, to see any advantages your going to have to fork over more money. These are very similar to stock heat sinks. However the second one would be quieter then a most stock heatsinks the other one being about the same noise level.
James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ignoring the ones i have what would you recommend? im using a slightly bigger stock, than stock, heatsink and internet browsing temps are at 30c, playing games highest ive seen is 34c. (battlefield 2, medal of honar, civilization IV, robot arena 2, diablo II, airport tycoon 3) this is a p4 2ghz oced at 2.3ghz, im planning on buying a p4 2.8ghz (plus whatever overclock)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest with you there is no future in P4 as they are a dead technology and single core.

What is your budget and what country do you live in (need to know whats sites to look at).
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 March 2007 - 02:46 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
america, cheaper is better, but id say under 100 us dollars

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
you won't get something better then this.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106081
It's quiet, has huge air flow and it'll work on more or less any processor avaiblible, when you plan to upgrade.
Also if LEDs are you thing it has that to, disadvantages, its 40$. This is what I plan on using for my upcoming build, warning though its a big [bleep] fan so if room in your case is an issue this might not be for you.
James

Edit: Just read your last post, don't buy a new heatsink, those are below average temps, nothing to worry about there the peniums are designed to withstand temperature up to 80C, but i'd never be comfortable with a CPU at this temperature.

Edited by james_8970, 17 March 2007 - 03:21 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

you won't get something better then this.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106081
It's quiet, has huge air flow and it'll work on more or less any processor avaiblible, when you plan to upgrade.
Also if LEDs are you thing it has that to, disadvantages, its 40$. This is what I plan on using for my upcoming build, warning though its a big [bleep] fan so if room in your case is an issue this might not be for you.
James

i forgot to mention im a socket 478 :/ srry

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That'll make everything much harder, but really, don't buy a new fan, as i said in my edit, you should be happy with those temperatures. Instead of investing into a new fan, save you money to invest into some new hardware, considering buying a decent fan these days is like 1/2 to 1/4 of a budget CPU.
James

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
is watercooling a liable option? if i get the 2.8, im sure ill have it clocked over 3ghz, i can get a watercooling kit for around 100

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those temps are fine, in fact they are excellent for a pentium 4 i wouldnt bother with a new cooler and water cooling is something you neither skimp on or put in comps that are not allready as good as you can get them they are very much an extra. Unless your temps are hitting over 50 i wouldnt replace the HSF it would be a waste of your money.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Those temps are fine, in fact they are excellent for a pentium 4 i wouldnt bother with a new cooler and water cooling is something you neither skimp on or put in comps that are not allready as good as you can get them they are very much an extra. Unless your temps are hitting over 50 i wouldnt replace the HSF it would be a waste of your money.

well right now i need a quieter fan on the heatsink, or a complete quieter setup. im looking at a few cases right now, but i want cooling more.

Also on another note, i need suggestions on a dvd burner, i was suggested this one
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129001

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186124
Although I have no idea what sone are compared to DBA, so i can't tell you if its going to be real loud or not.
Its the best one I can find.
Remember though, as me and warriorscot have said, its not worth investing into a cooler namly if it won't work on future upgrades, better off investing in new hardware. Also the noise could very well be coming from the PSU fan or the case fans, and considering the temps are that low you probably have lots of case fans running.
James

P.S. Yes that is a good burner, although you can get up to 20x burning. But good nun the less

Edited by james_8970, 17 March 2007 - 04:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want quiet Zalman is the way to go, or a thermalright with an ultra quiet 120mm fan on top.