Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i check my ram's

• Please log in to reply

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
The RAM speed of 125mhz is a worry because it's as if there is a FSB/DRAM ratio setting that is incorrect.

Someone really messed with this machine.

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ah ok.. guess i'll have to tackle this problem first.

Ok, i went through the bio and cant find any FSB function, after enabling everything i could ( disabled them accordingly afterwards).

However this looks like the closest.

Under CPU PnP Setup, "Cpu Over-clocking Func." was disabled, and when i enabled it, theres an option of 101Mhz to 116 Mhz. Could that be it?

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, that's it, but those are Duron speeds, not XP speeds, so, I'm a little confused now, Everest sees your CPU as an XP chip.

Get a CPU id program now and check what you have, CPUz is here

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, heres 2 SSs i took, hopefully these will help in ur udnerstanding of my crappy comp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok , it's an Athlon MP (media processor), I'll have to research it but it looks just like an XP, so it should runn at 266mhz.

Click the memory tab on CPUz to get the current memory speeds. The SPD is what the RAM specification is, not the actual speed.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Posted Image

There u go. Anyway, i gtg sleep right now. I'll be back in 2 hours or so time , so dont bother camping for my reply till then =p

Really appreciate ur time and help =)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oh btw, do u have any thing u wanna recommend if i were to make any upgrade from there? Not with the motherboard, but probably like graphic cards or ram-wise?

Currently my main use for the comp is for botting, on diablo 2. Right now i can bot with 3 d2 windows, but i guess with more ram, i could do even more without too much lag

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, you need 2 things, a faster CPU (and if it's been soldered onto the board, that could be impossible), and a new graphics card. Your current G Card is a GF2 MX400 which is very poor.

Look, your CPU to memory ratio should be 1:1, your's is set to 1:1.33

Your CPU is definitely a 133mhz (266DDR) FSB model.

Ok, your ram was at 133mhz which is good in a way but bad because they ratio was wrong.

This is what you need to set it as:

cpu/fsb speed @ 133mhz, DRAM @ 133mhz Ratio = 1 : 1

CPU default multiplier is still unknown. If there is no setting for it, we might as well assume that it will auto detect from BIOS and not worry about it further.

The PRO2200A namestring ID is possibly inaccurate due to the alleged false naming conventions of the mainboard maker, now defunct.

Edited by Congo, 14 April 2005 - 12:15 PM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"This is what you need to set it as:

cpu/fsb speed @ 133mhz, DRAM @ 133mhz Ratio = 1 : 1"

Hmm, but i can only set tht over in bio ya? And seemingly i cant find this option or anything close. Closest i've came across is this:

"Under CPU PnP Setup, "Cpu Over-clocking Func." was disabled, and when i enabled it, theres an option of 101Mhz to 116 Mhz. "

Btw, which would be more appropriate to get, a ram or a graphic card for my purchase of getting more diablo 2 windows up, and without big lags.

Btw, when u said CPU, u meant the motherboard?

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I meant the cpu's fsb speed - which is identical to and controlled by the mainboard's fsb speed. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were not clear on this.

Each cpu is set to run at a default fsb speed. These speeds are standardised and are grouped according to the state of the art of the technology at the time of design or, for specific technologies with a special use; for instance, a Duron cpu used a slower fsb speed than current technology allowed in order to offer a cheaper PC solution. Chipset designers, mainboard and CPU manufacturers work together to set these standards to avoid compatibility problems.

Most modern PC's use fsb speeds of at least 100mhz, then 133mhz, 200mhz DDR, 266mhz DDR, 333mhz DDR, 400mhz DDR, then you have CPU's which operate on multi-piped mhz front side buses, allowing cumalative fsb speeds of 533mhz, 800mhz, 1000mhz etc.

Each family or sub-family of cpu's use the same front side bus speed and they are supported by mainboards using chipsets specifically designed for them.

Many chipsets (modern ones) support multiple cpu families for versatility.

Your mainboard supports AMD Duron and XP cpu's that run on a default fsb speed of 200mhz DDR and 266mhz DDR respectively.

We now must move on to your problem.....

If the option is not in BIOS to change your FSB speed, then it will have to be set by jumpers on the mainboard, I'm sorry I didn't mention this before, but I had to be sure you had no BIOS support first.

There are tiny little plastic jumper caps fitted to very small pins on the mainboard (jumpers) and these are labeled on the mainboard's PCB (printed circuit board) as to their function and can be set to make all kinds of configuration changes.

If you have a mainboard manual, it will describe the jumper settings in detail usually, and you will be able to change your FSB speed and CPU multiplier setting by moving jumper caps to the correct positions.

Remember, you need to set the DRAM frequency to 1:1 as a priority, setting the FSB speed to 133mhz will attempt to run your ram at 166mhz (+33mhz currently set). This may work because your ram is PC2700, but it might fry something, so it's best to start with default settings.

At this stage you should be taking the PC to a technician for configuration if you are still not confident on how to set it up.

As for diablo..... First let's fix your PC and see if it improves things, but I would say a video card is the most important consideration.

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ohh ok. Dont feel sorry, im a n00b at these.

I'll try the jumper thing when i get home, i gtg prepare for my exams. Will post back in 12 hours time. thx =)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
long day, sorry. I'll look into it when im awake, gotta go bed now =/

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
phew, very close shave, took the last 30 mins figuring wad went wrong.

Accidentally unplugged those 4 plugs from the panel1, those hdd_LED_P power button etc, and comp suddenly didnt work, and stopped at the welcome page instead of the desktop =/ (btw, does this unplugging and plugging back action alter some critical stuffs?=/ )

Anyway, regarding the jumper, i tried shifting it. there are actually only 2 points, one is the normal one, short pins 1-2, and the other is short pins 2-3, which is to "clear CMOS" I tried the 2-3 pins, and comp didnt manage to get power, got afriad and changed back immediately. And when i came to the desktop, my usual configurations were altered, like the avg settings, my date and time were all wrong. Is this normal? If so, wad should i do next?

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I think the plugs you refer to are the front panel connectors, which on an ATX standard machine control the Power on/off and reset functions.

The clear CMOS jumpers set your computers BIOS back to default setting so you'll have to setup all your dates and configurations in bios again, this will be trial and error, but you should have a pretty good idea of how they were set before.

Novices who alter all the BIOS settings need to go thru the setup carefully and try to understand all of it's functions, as important hardware configurations for the PC are set up here.

You need to be careful.

Make sure you put the cmos reset jumper cap back in the original position before you power up of course.

If you have the mainboard book, it will help.

That was not the jumper I was wanting you to find, I had hoped you would find one that would change your FSB speed to 133mhz instead of 100mhz.

You shouldn't ever make a bios or jumper change unless you know what it does and are confident of the desired result. I take my hat off to you for your bravery. :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 17 April 2005 - 08:17 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oh lol. u mean theres another jumper somewhere on my motherboard? I was looking through the whole manual and it seems thats the only jumper i saw, so i thought i could give it a try, since it states only 2 options, and certainly like u said i need to change, so i just went to 2-3 pins =p

I set the other bio back in the end. Just need the FBS thingy now, which i've no clue as to where i can find that now.