Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

rocalo

rocalo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My son's computer will not power up. when the power button on the front of the hard drive is pushed....nothing happens. Prior to this when his wife would vacuum the computer would beep continuous short beeps. They have unplugged and replugged in everything. Is this something that can by fixed without having to take it to a technician? And if so what do you suggest. None of us are great computer "experts", so please any advice will need to have specific instructions. Thank you for you help.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Was she vacuuming the computer or just vacuuming the house and the computer beeped? If she was just vacuuming the house and the computer beeped then I would suspect that there was a power issue that caused a brown out at the power plug that the computer was plugged into. The power supply or other hardware may have sustained damage. If she vacuumed the computer then there was probably damage caused by a static discharge and the motherboard or other hardware may be bad.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i would say the psu went out, if i recall correctly the psu will beep on powersurges. so ill bet the psu went down the drain

rocalo

rocalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
She was vacuuming the floor...not the computer. Is the PSU a difficult thing to replace? Or should we take it to a technician. My hubby has fixed our internal computer with directions from the internet, but they were things like changing the modem and fairly other simple things. Is this a "fairly other simple thing"?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
4-6 screws and a few plugs, pretty simple

rocalo

rocalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
first of all thank you for all your help and quick responses....next and hopefully last time I will bother you ....is the PSU a costly item to replace? Any idea of prices?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
depends on life span you want and quality, usually around 30-50bones