Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia nForce Sound Drivers

• Please log in to reply

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey.

I recently had to format my PC, and when I reinstalled windows I was installing stuff and everything was going OK. When I tried to install my nVidia nForce Sound drivers for my onboard sound card, they wouldn't work.. I tried using older sound drivers that I found online for it but they didn't work either.

What happens is, I run the Setup.exe, an nVidia logo pops up, and it starts an install shield wizard, which zooms to 100% and then just closes..so nothing happens - the drivers dont end up installing.. Other things have installed fine and this is the only problem I am having.

I've tried closing everything else, with nothing running it still wouldn't work. I have formatted my PC in the past and installed these very same drivers and everything went fine.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you try to install from the original driver disk that comes with the motherboard or is it something that you downloaded. If downloaded it should be from the motherboard manufacturer's internet site. Download and save it into a folder. Now instll through "add hardware" in control panel.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
They're downloaded from the manufacturer's site, its an MSI K7N2 Delta MS6570 1.3
(http://www.msi.com.t...?UID=436&kind=1)

the strange thing is that I never had this problem in the past when trying to install the very same drivers.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to see if this applies to your situation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

http://support.micro....com/kb/835221/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried installing it throuh "add hardware" in control panel?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Tyger, I dont see those links as being relative..from what i understood, they are updates included in SP2? (I have SP2 and all the latest xp updates installed already)..

Skeptic, i tried through "add hardware" and it just doesn't find the right software, even though I point it in the direction of the folder where all the drivers are located (where I saved them to)

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Right click My Computer then Properties. Click the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button. Expand Sound, video and game controllers. Do you see any errors for your sound device? If so right click on it then click Properties. What errors does it show? Try the Troubleshoot button. If drivers are not installed click the Driver tab then the Update Driver button and browse to the downloaded installation file and see if it will install successfully. If it still fails then there may be a physical problem with the onboard sound device.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Right click My Computer then Properties. Click the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button. Expand Sound, video and game controllers. Do you see any errors for your sound device? If so right click on it then click Properties. What errors does it show? Try the Troubleshoot button. If drivers are not installed click the Driver tab then the Update Driver button and browse to the downloaded installation file and see if it will install successfully. If it still fails then there may be a physical problem with the onboard sound device.

That's exactly what i've been doing countless times..it does not recognise those drivers in the driver folder when i browse to it.

The problem is this really: the setup.exe file starts up n then just closes when i run it (disappears, does nothing)...WHY is that happening? I dont get it because it used to work fine. Whats causing it to disappear? without any error message or explanation

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you point to a specific driver in the drivers folder or do you point to the folder in general. Try clicking the specific driver and see if the OK sign becomes operable. Is this the only driver that is not being recognized or are the others too?

If all of them are not recognized then I think that some repair is required. If you have the installation cd insert it into the drive. Now click start > run. Type sfc /scannow. Let the process run to the end. When it finishes the diallog box just disappears.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
The onboard sound may be damaged.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I can only point to folders in general, it does not allow me to point to individual files. I have tried every folder in the drivers folder, plus all the older versions of this driver too. Still not working.

I did the scannow thing n didnt make a difference.

Regarding the setup.exe file, it doesn't get past the "Setup is preparing installshield wizard" bit..i.e. the ACTUAL SETUP program doesn't even start!! That is what is mind boggling. Even if the onboard sound is damaged, at least this should start up, as any other installation program would?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you perform XP repair? You can use this link to guide you.