Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried CPU?

• Please log in to reply

Xtil

Xtil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I am trying to fix my fathers PC that got fried awhile back.

Specs: The old Motherboard was a P4P800-E Deluxe and the new one is Asrock P4i65G.
I don't know the other parts very well because he lost the documentation.
1GB RAM - Generic
2 SATA Drives - Maxtor maybe
CPU Intel Pentium - socket 478

Probable Cause: Somekind of short curcuit when a bum external drive was unplugged from USB while the PC was on carpet. The PC crashed right away, just from unplugging it.

He ended up taking it to a local PC store and they told him the motherboard is fried and they can't test anything else because they don't want to put anything else at risk. So we got the new motherboard and installed it with everything, but when we tried it we don't get any video (just blinking light on monitor) but the case fans and cpu fans work. I decided that we should unplug all nonessential devices/cards. So now I retried with only CPU, RAM, Video Card, Keyboard and Mouse and still I got the same thing. I think it is the CPU but is there anything else could be the reason that it shows nothing on the screen and not even a beep?

Xtil

Edited by Xtil, 18 March 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The P4i65G has onboard graphics so take the separate video card out.

Also take off the keyboard and mouse, you don't need them. Take out the memory and reset the CMOS. Also ensure you have a speaker plugged in as this board doesn't have an onboard speaker. The board should beep if there is no memory in. Also try a new power supply (remember the 4-pin socket as well, essential on this board) and pull all the front USB connectors, front audio connectors and front panel connectors, using a screwdriver to short the jumpers to turn the system on.

Failing all this, the processor may be at fault.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 March 2007 - 04:44 PM.