Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - Physical Memory Dump

• Please log in to reply

colossuss

colossuss

• Pip
  • 9 posts
As the title says;

I get a BSOD, that does a physical memory dump, when I'm in the middle of playing a computer game.

I am running Windows Vista, and am presuming that my 1GB RAM isnt sufficient enough to run Vista and a computer game.

So before I go and buy more RAM, I was hoping some people would aknoledge that this is a problem with my lack of RAM and not something else.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, is it true that any new RAM "sticks" need to be the same in size? EG: All 512mb or all 1gb?

Edited by colossuss, 18 March 2007 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
1GB of RAM should be enough. At least you shouldn't get BSODs because of it. I'd suspect a driver issue. Either video or sound card. Have you checked to see if you're running the latest drivers? I know nForce4 motherboards in particular have BSOD issues with the sound drivers.

We really need to know which motherboard you have to advise further. Many modern motherboards run memory in "dual-channel". This does require memory to be installed in pairs, but it could also be a pair of 512MB, and a pair of 256MB sticks for example.

colossuss

colossuss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Video drivers are up-to-date.

Card is a Nvidia 7600GS 512mb.
No sound card, i use the on-board for my audio.

Motherboard:
(Quad-Core Supports) ECS P965T-A P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394&7.1Audio

Also, Vista seems to require 50% of my RAM, so thats why I presumed it was down to the lack of memory.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You have the Realtek chip. That's one that's been having issues. Try installing the Vista driver direct from their site here.