Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Playing Downloaded Game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WorldStrike

WorldStrike

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone. A buddy of mine had recently downloaded Final Fantasy 7 (I guess they remade one for the PC) off of Limewire, and it gives specific instructions on how to play the game. He sent the instructions to me and then the whole game to see if I could figure them out, but I can't. Without following them, there is an error that claims the CD Key or something of the sort is not verified. Here's what the readme document says for the game:

1. Uncompress the whole stuff into to your ROOT directory.
2. Add ff7.reg to the registry (double click/yes).
3. Change the label of your drive to "ff7disc1", "ff7disc2" or "ff7disc3", whichever disc you're playing on.
4. Run Ff7config.exe and configure. (adding ff7.reg again resets these settings)
5. Run Ff7.exe and enjoy the greatest game ever made!

Notes:

- You will need msmpeg4 and windows media audio codecs to play the videos. Right click on codecs\M$MPEG4.inf and select "Install".

- If you uncompress onto an other drive than C, also edit the ff7.reg accordingly.

- Under Windows 2000 and XP you won't be able to pass the chocobo races due to the incompatibility of the game and the OS.

- If your video card supports it, don't forget to turn on FSAA 2x2.

Now, if you go into the codecs folder, there's a readme document entitled "Install", and it simply says this:

unzip files into a directory, right click on M$MPEG.inf and choose install

Upon clicking on the aforementioned .inf file and selecting install, this message comes up:

The file 'MPG4ds32.ax' on M$MPEG-4 Video Codec Install Disk is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, then click OK

Now, there is no MPG4ds32.ax file in the entire folder, or the file, for that matter.

In the Codec folder, there is another file simply titled "readme". It reads this:

hacked M$-MPEG 4 V3 codecs
and M$ - WMA Audio codec

encoder: MPG4C32.dll Version 4.1.00.3920
decoder: mpg4ds32.ax Version 4.1.00.3917
WMA : msaud32.acm Version 4.1.00.3920

- support for MPEG4 V3 encoding and decoding has been enabled
- Micro$oft Media Audio V2 WAV output (audio/video) has been enabled

installation:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
copy MPG4C32.dll and mpg4ds32.ax to your windows\system directory

important: if you didn't have MPG4C32.dll before,
type 'regsvr32 mpg4c32.dll' from windows\system to register it

you can make your own default settings for encoding
by changing these hex-values within MPG4C32.dll in your hex editor:

bitrate: 0AC6: 97 (default)
x'70 B7' -> 6000
x'70 A7' -> 3000
x'70 97' -> 1500
x'70 87' -> 750
x'70 77' -> 375
----------------
x'40 9F' -> 2000
x'40 8F' -> 1000
x'40 7F' -> 500
x'40 6F' -> 250

crispness: 1EA8: 4B (default) (value doesn't really change output)
keyframes: 1EAF: 01 (default) (1 keyframe per sec. won't give bad frames at only 1% file increase)

The Course of Progress: Most things get steadily worse.
The Path of Progress: A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

M$-MPEG4.inf file inspired by Gej DivX ;-)
added the WMA codec (readme_msaud32.txt for details)

The only other readme in the codec folder is titled 'readme_msaud32', and that's really the last piece of the puzzle I can give to you. It looks like this:

hacked M$ Audio 2 codec

audio-codec: msaud32.acm Version 4.1.00.3920

- Micro$oft Media Audio V2 WAV output (audio/video) has been enabled

advantage over mp3:
- input pcm wav and encoded wav will have the same length
- much faster encoding

disadvantage:
- this crack is far from perfect and there seems to be a buffer problem with some encoders
e.g. AC3DEC won't work at all with this codec, but this seems to be cused by a check within AC3DEC.
- It only seems to work at bitrates < 64kps, which is just fine for video encoding

advice: try this codec with Virtualdub and settings:
Windows Media Audio V2: 64kps, 44 kHz (for audio/video) - 8kB/s

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
installation:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
copy msaud32.acm to your windows\system directory

edit your system.ini and make this new entry:
[drivers32]
msacm.msaudio2=msaud32.acm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So basically, can anyone help me with this? I don't understand how to properly get this game working on my system. Please be as simple as possible with your explanations.

Thanks,

-Mike

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
We can not help you do anything illegal. I would also strongly advise against using any kind of "crack" because they often contain viruses.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

Thread has been closed.