Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing Connection To Router

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, I have an HP NC8430 laptop running Windows XP Home SP2. The laptop has a built-in wireless adapter which according to Device Manager is a 'Broadcom 802.11g/b WLAN' adapter. On the router/modem front, I've got a Netgear DG834G which has been working fine with the laptop for the 6 months or so that I've had them.

I'm experiencing weird problems with them just now though - when I switch on the router is found ok and all seems to be well. I can surf, etc. ok for several minutes but then my connection drops without any warning or messages. At this stage windows still tells me I'm connected to my router however I cannot access its config page (at 192.168.0.1) nor can I ping that IP Address.

If I disconnect then reconnect then it works again fine for a few more minutes before the same problem occurs again. I've rebooted the laptop and restarted the router, both to no effect. I've also used an ethernet cable from the router to laptop instead and this had the exact same problem.

If I leave a command prompt pinging 192.168.0.1 (ie. -t switch) it shows 'request timed out' but will then periodically get a reply for around 10 pings before timing out again.

I've left this overnight but the problem persists. From what I can tell, my ISP is not reporting any problems in their service at the moment. Any thoughts what it could be?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go to another location where you can use another router and see if the problem persists. If it does you know the problem is in your computer. If the problem disappears you know it's the router. And when you can check the configuration of the router and all it's settings to make sure nothing has changed. Hope it's the router and not your computer!!!