Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing windows on slave drive

• Please log in to reply

locke91114

locke91114

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hello, ive been trying to fix my freinds computer - when it starts up nothing happens except there is this COMPAQ INTEL INSIDE logo wich usually shows up before windows begins to start, but it nothing ever happens.

It just stays there. I tried pressing buttons, i put in the XP cd, i put in some recovery cds, but it is completely unresponsive. I cant even shut it off without unplugging it.

My freind says he got some sort of virus, so i figured formatting the hdd would do it. But i couldnt because the computer is completely unresponsive. So i took out the hardrive and put it in my computer. I then formatted the partition (theres two) that was full of junk, and tried to formatt the other one wich i full of windows, but it wont let me. Now when i put the hdd back in my freinds computer nothing at all happens, nothing comes on the screen.

So i figured maybe if i reinstalled windows onto the hdd from my computer that would do the trick, but i dont know how to do that... i dont want to reinstall windows on my hdd.

Anyways, my question to you is how can i install xp onto my freinds hdd without touching my hdd, and in a way so that i can stick it back in my freinds computer and make it work.
Also is there a better, easier way of fixing this problem than what i just said? Is what i just said even possible? I would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

freinds computers specs
-intel celeron 2.5ghz
-256mb ram
-xp
-cdrw
-40gb hardrive with to partitions (currently in my computer)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unless you friends computer is pratically a carbon copy of yours the answer is no. Most importantly the chipset drivers will wrong but others as well. Also when you switch to the other machine XP will see that different hardware is there and may refuse to let itself be validated, making it impossible to get support from MS.

Go down to the tutorials forum and read up on how to make a clean install of XP. That will be your best course.