Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drives D and E problem

• Please log in to reply

catman48

catman48

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Neither my D or E drive will play a CD-R . They both started with just CD's that I had burned , Now they dont seem to wantto play anything My D drive will play CD-RW Discs with no problem. The E drive Dosen't Even try to play anything, L. It will only search the disk for a couple seconds then quit. I checked the properties of both Drives It says they are both operating properly, Also they both say o bytes empty space, 0 bytes full space,But capasity shows them all blue as if they are full. Len's have been cleaned, It had to be done manually Because they would'nt play the cleaner. Any Idea's of what's going on? They both started at about the same time.
Thank you

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi catman48!

Please do the following for each of your CD/DVD drives:

Let's have you uninstall the CD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a CD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

If the above doesn't work, then please do the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Once your computer is rebooted, check and see if either of the drives will now read and play CD's/DVD's.

Fenor

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried both , neither helped, D drive still will only play CD-RW only,nothing with E drive. What do I do with the file I exported ? Any other Idea's?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can just delete the file...

I would suggest that you check the jumpers on the CD/DVD drives and make sure one is set as MASTER and the other as SLAVE.

Fenor

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add or remove any hardware or software recently...if the drives used to work..try system restore and go back at least a week before the problem started...if the first restore point does not work try several restore points...you can try to update the drivers for the drives..it may be helpful if you completely disconnect the slave drive...the one in the middle connector on the ribbon cable...try another ribbon cable..make sure its a 80 wire 40 pin cable

Edited by happyrck, 20 March 2007 - 07:52 PM.

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
They haven't been changed , They worked fine before

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I had already checked for updated drivers, none were avalible. I gave up on system restore a couple years ago, 9 times out of ten it never works. This problem has been going on for so long I wouldn't even have an idea as to how far back to go anyway. I will try to find a new ribbon cable and see if that helps.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add or remove any hardware or software recently...

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I'm sure I have added software somewhere along the line, may take a while to figure out what I have added lately,I will try turning off some and seeif that helps.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sometimes uninstalling cd burning programs can cause problems too...

Edited by happyrck, 21 March 2007 - 07:14 AM.

Advertisements

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Now that you mention it I haven't uninstalled a burning program , But I had limewire and was having a lot of problems with it . It would only stay on for a few minutes and either freeze up or shut down , I uninstalled it and reinstalled but still have same problem with it . Seems like It started before the D and E drives did.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have any Anti virus..anti spyware...anti adware ..programs installed on your computer..have you updated and ran them recently ...although the newer versions of limewire don't have bundled malware in them like they did in the past..the downloads you get with them can ...so you may want to take a romp thru the malware removal forum here

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I have norton anti virus , I also have Adaware SE ,and spybot ,although it hasent been updated very recently, I ran ad-aware a few days ago, I will check for spybot updates and see what it shows

catman48

catman48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Correction, I had spybot installed . But can't find it. It may have been one of the programs I lost when hard drive failed a few moths ago And i reinstalled OS, And it seems i never put it back on. I Just dowloaded it again and ran it. Also a question, I see it has teatimer with it , I downloaded it also, then did a little searching to see exactly what it is, Seems to me it does the same thing as Winpatrol, which I already have and really like, Could there be a conflick between the two ?, If so I will try to remove teatime.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just disable tea timer