Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Firefox Issue

• Please log in to reply

charZar

charZar

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
While using the browser, an alert came up for a security update. I did it and it closed/reopened the browser and while reloading all the tabs I had open, none of them were able to connect and kept coming up with a warning that it wasn't fully complete or something.. so I closed it and opened a new browser and it wouldn't load (firefox would open, but "problem loading page" happened.) I rebooted and still the same, mind you AIM and Internet Explorer still worked, so it wasn't/isn't the internet. I uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooting after both, and still nothing's working.

In the settings, it says the newest update was today and it was done successfully. When I go into "help" and check for updates, it comes up with "there were problems checking for, downloading or installing this update. Firefox could not be updated because: AUS: Update XML File Malformed (200) You can update Firefox manually bu visiting this link and downloading the latest version: (link to mozilla)"

Since I've already reinstalled the newest version, I don't know what the problem is, anyone?

Char

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its probably your firewall blocking the "new" program from connecting to the internet...

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I just use the Window's firewall and, it was off :whistling: but I turned it on and added Mozilla as one of the accepted programs and still no luck...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try going to the Mozilla Firefox in Start/Programs. When it expands out, select start Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). If a popup window occurs, check all boxes but the first box. This will only happen if FF's profile and other files need to be re-initiated after a problem. It may load FF normally if no problems. Other than that, I would uninstall FF using the Add/Remove Program in Control Panel, go to Mozilla's site and download/re-install the latestest version.

Ron

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I tried the safemode and it still couldn't connect. The page says

"Unable to Connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start2.mozilla.com."

Try uninstalling/reinstalling? (just clarifying the wording of the problem to make sure)

Thanks

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I did uninstall/reinstall anyways.. but no luck. I'll reboot in the morning/afternoon tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for any help.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Problem solved.. didn't realize a friend turned Zone Alarm off through msconfig when messing around on the computer and assumed I ran out of a free trial or something :blink: After turning zone alarm on and saying OK to Mozilla, it worked. Funny how it (Zone alarm) holds back when it's not even on. Anyways, thanks for the help. Ultimately, it was the firewall. :whistling: Guess it just took that security update to mess things up.

-Char

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you figured it out. Should have asked that question about whether you have zone alarm as I use it and have gone through many of its quirks in the past. Even though it was turned off, the ZoneAlarm client loaded is protected and still active. Thanks for posting your solution for others who may have been following this thread.

Ron

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should also set up a limited user account .for your friends...so they can't "play around" with any of your settings... :whistling:

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Haha.. he's a computer guy and I told him how slow my computer (laptop) was/is (it's a piece of crud) so he changed a few settings and turned off a lot of programs so the startup was quicker... and I didn't think about Zone Alarm.

I don't usually let people use my computer.. it's too slow anyways and would frustrate them more than do good.

Thanks!

-Char