Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows stuck after P4 logo: Unable to boot in safemode

• Please log in to reply

James1230

James1230

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Straight to the problem:

My windowsXP comp will not boot up fully.

I start it, an initial screen comes up as usual with some text at the top, then the pentium 4 logo - then - a black screen with a flashing underscore on the bottom left of the screen. I then hear some sort of click/some noise change in the computer and the flashing underscore is replaced with two white arrows followed by the flashing underscore - which looks something like this:

->>_

I am aware the undersocre should be flashing for a few seconds and then should proceed to the WindowsXP loading screen- but It just won't go any further.

I have tried booting into safe mode but it wont let me. I can however enter to the bios settings but I dont know what to in there to resolve this.

Another thing, when I hit the keys from F7 to F11 I get a black screen asking me to enter a password. however I have never set a password on my machine for anything. I have not tried to take out the circular battery inside my computer to remove the password yet, for now, I would like to know what is making my computer hang on that screen.

I'm not sure, but this may be the problem. I installed a copy of Norton PartitionMagic (without restating after the install or creating any setup/rescue disks) which failed to start due to some missing dll files. I then installed another partition program titled just "PartitionMagic". I then restarted the computer and all this has happened.

All help would be extremely appreciated, thank you.

Edited by James1230, 21 March 2007 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
HI james,

welcome to G2G, Have you got a Windows XP disk that came with your machine? could you try doing a repair install?

To me it sounds like either drivers or windows is corrupt, i'm no expert, but i have some experience.

first insert WinXP cd into drive, then hit any button when prompted! then continue and follow the onscreen instructions. treat it as a fresh install, when there are some options to install fresh, there should also be the option to repair, do that, and fingers crossed it should all work!

Hope that helps

Glen

James1230

James1230

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't have my winXP install disk - is there some way I could download it and bunt onto a disk or USB HDD and load it from that through the bios options?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You could try to go to safe mode and use "last good configuration" line.

James1230

James1230

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thats the first thing that I would have done. but I cant get into it, nothing happens but a "Enter Password" screen, to which I never set a password to.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Do you have a computer with the same version of windows on?

you can use that to create a windows restore disk, not sure how to do it, but i will look into it and get back to you!

James1230

James1230

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I have a friend who has XP but without his install disk either. I could use his if it would help to solve the problem.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
un fortunalty i can't find anything yet about making a cd, i will keep looking, but in the mean time, you can read this article, writen by our one and only Admin

http://www.geekstogo...hl=restore disk

Edited by glen_m_32, 21 March 2007 - 09:17 AM.