Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me decide...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Well, I have decided that my computer needs an overhaul (i.e. build a new one). I am wondering what path I should take. I was thinking about building this system.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
- Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
- (MSI or eVGA) 7900GS 256MB
- 2 GB OCZ Gold Edition 800
- (Ultra or Enermax) 600W Power supply
- 120GB SATA 7200rpm
- blah blah blah

But, then I realized that I am going to be going to need a laptop for school this Fall and thought, hmmmmm, maybe just combine forces. The best thing I could do in my budget is a Dell E1705 with:

-Core2Duo 7200
-2GB 667 memory
-7900GS
-120gb 5400 rpm hard drive
-and some other things...

I am having trouble deciding the best route to take. If I did the desktop thing, then I could upgrade easily later on (i.e. 2nd video card, more memory, etc) and buy a cheap lappy for school.

but, with the Dell I could easily take it to LAN parties and have a faster laptop for school, but It would be about an extra $1000 investment....

I could use some advice. Which route would you take? Thanks...

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It all depends on what you are doing with your laptop at school. If it is just for internet browsing and word processing I would go with the PC + cheap laptop. If you are taking class which will require video editing or that sort of thing then you might want to consider getting the better laptop.

If you are using either one of those for gamming I would suggest a bigger HDD than 120GB. Also note that the board that you selected is listed on Abit's website as "discontinued".

Edited by Titan8990, 22 March 2007 - 02:24 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm in the same boat as you actually.
What am I doing with my issue. Getting a cheap laptop and an upgradeable desktop in June. Buying a high end laptop does you no justice, in my opinion most people regret doing it because you have to stay within distance of a power outlet at all times. Remember a high end laptop not only performs faster but requires alot of power causing some to last less then 1 hour on a full charge, then you need to wait several hours to get it back to a full charge, now whats the point of this?!
Look at what exactly the needs are going to be for the laptop at school. If your only using it for text documents, browser and coding a 800$ laptop will do you just fine. Honestly cheaper ones are better for people in my cases, as they last much longer. What it really comes down to is whats right for you, but if I were go I'd go for the cheap laptop and the desktop which you can upgrade later on down the road.
thanx
James

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thank you for the replies. That certainly does help. I guess it would be better if I explained a bit more about what I will be doing.

My major is Computer Science with a focus on video game programming. Even though I may need graphics for some game programming things, it's mostly gonna be writing C++ and Java (and I think some assembly language) for my school. The school's website says these requirements at a minimum:

-Processor Pentium 4 1.0 GHZ or Macintosh G4 867 MHz
-512 MB RAM
-Hard Disk 40 GB
-CD-ROM CD-RW/DVD Combo
-Ethernet Card 10/100 Network Card Built in
-Ports: USB, Infrared, Firewire
-Video Capabilities 1024x768
-Display 14.1" Color Active
-Wireless Card 802.11g (prefered) or 802.11b card
-Windows XP Pro or OS X

I don't notice any mention of a good video card in there. That will pretty much be the academic extent.

What I really WANT it for is that I plan to join the Computer Science club for help with homework, or play some games (especially LAN parties). Alot of guys there had mediocre to good gaming laptops with them and I figured it would be much easier to bring a laptop. Let's face it. I am not carrying a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse to school. I think it would be very nice to be able to fire up my laptop anywhere I am (there will usually be an AC outlet around) and do anything, including homework, internet, games, music, watch videos/movies.

On the other hand, I figure any laptop will be able to do all those things except for the games. So, when it comes down to it, I guess my question is, will it be worth the extra money to be able to play games anywhere? The secondary concern is outdated parts. Technology moves so fast, I wanna make sure this laptop takes me through school. I am predicting (and this is just a hunch... i may be wrong) that a Pentium 4 now will be like today's Celeron in two years. At least with a better laptop I know the parts won't go outdated......as fast.

So, that is where I am. Still torn between the two decisions. Fortunately, I still have a few months to decide and with any luck laptops or computer parts will be much cheaper :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: Those are the requirements!

Not to be mean or anything but that P4 came out 4 years ago, any computer you buy on the market now would blow that to bits. In other words you safe.

There are reasons why I don't agree with high end laptops, one, they don't last long on battery, two, a 2500$laptop is the equivalent of a 1500$ desktop. It's up to you, but those figures wouldn't be that far off. You'll get to a point when you buying a laptop and then once you reach that point the prices jump leap and bounds for little performance gains.

On another note, I contact your college and ask them about windows vista and whether they'll have support for that or not, you don't want to buy a operating system that isn't support. This shouldn't be an issue, but it's better to be safe then sorry. If you doing coding, be sure to have 2 GB of Ram for smooth running and an approximatly 1.6GHz CPU. Ram is extremly simple to upgrade on laptops so you might be better off buying a lower end laptop and then upgrading the ram because some times you'll be paying more for things you don't need to get that extra 1 GB of ram.

Now for outdated parts, technology is continually changing, which makes it interesting, fun and entertaining to watch. It's however a big pain when your building because no matter how much you spend, it'll more then likly be outdated before you get it off the shelf of the store. Wait till June, at this time ATI and INTEL are releasing integraded(INTEL is upgraded, ATI not) DX10 graphics cards that will perform much better then what we are seeing now. They may come with a large price tag, but will probably be all over the board, as ATI has a mobile GPU line so they arn't intergraded into the motherboard. I wouldn't build or buy it any later then the beginning of July as you should be comfortable with it then, and if there are any issues have the worked out before school begins.

Prices are dropping next month, for AMD it'll be the beginning of April, Intel it'll be April 22. Again, laptop are more convenience, but it'll be up to you whether or not the convenience of the high end laptop will be worth the hefty price tag.

James

Edited by james_8970, 23 March 2007 - 03:51 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Those are the requirements!

Not to be mean or anything but that P4 came out 4 years ago, any computer you buy on the market now would blow that to bits.

Yeah. But, I am treating this like I treat video game requirements. Remember, one of the approved video cards for Oblivion is a 6200 :whistling: . Sure it could run the game, but you couldn't actually PLAY it.

But, I do have a few more months to actually go out and purchase one and it sounds like some exciting things are coming up soon which means everything that is out now should drop in price. I saw this and thought it was worth considering:

Compaq v6048cl Refurbished
-AMD Turion X2 TL-52
-1GB DDR2 667MHz memory
-100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
-6150LE graphics
-LightScribe DVD Burner
-15" Brightview

For like $600. I hope in the next three months if I do decide to go with the gaming desktop that a deal like this will be around. I am OK with getting refurbished. I figure this with an extended warranty will still be a better buy than one similar to this NEW.

Anyway, I am wandering off subject a bit here. Your input is very helpful and gives me plenty to think about. At this point if you put a gun to my head, I am leaning towards the expensive gaming laptop. But, I still have time so I will remember what you said.

Thanks for the help! :blink:

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Looks like we're both on the same path.

1) I too want to study computer science

2) I too am building a computer in the summer

3) I too am planning on game designing

I would get a descent laptop like the one you got there, because Java and stuff are very basic programs and any game designing software would be compatible with that.

I actually somehow, I don't know how, luckily ended up finding a dell 6400 that works in a garage sale for 100$!!!!! It had no operating system so I guess thats why they sold it so cheap (idiots).

Specs:

Core Duo 1.86 Ghz
GeForce 7300 256 MB with Tv out
Audigy High def sound card
1gb 533 Mhz
120 Gb hard drive
15" Display

Talk about luck.

Bad thing is its a dell.

Edited by SOORENA, 26 March 2007 - 05:53 PM.