Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1ClickDVDCopy Hidden File

• Please log in to reply

granoladude

granoladude

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey folks... A while back I tried out 1ClickDVDCopy to make a few DVDs of various things. Anyway I was not impressed with how it worked and removed it. No problems.

Well about 2 years later I have started to notice a serious drop in Hard Drive space, mostly because I am just not taking into account how precious HD space is as I am moving into graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Macromedia Flash, etc). I removed all but two games from my comptuer (gotta keep Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike around for those rainy days :whistling: ) and cleaned out unnecessary documents. This cleaned up some space, but I was still running at about 8 gigs free out of 111 gigs total on my C drive. I simply couldn't figure it out. So I started to snoop....

I found some hidden files under my user name and under the file "Application Data." Our old nemesis, 1ClickDVDCopy had left a file behind that was eating 67.2 gigs!!! It's only contents within the file are AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS contains nothing while VIDEO_TS contains a massive "Power DVD File" called "VIDEO_TS." Needless to say, that one file is taking up the enormous amount of space.

Now to the questions: Is it safe to remove this folder for 1ClickDVDCopy and delete the "VIDEO_TS" file? I am a bit wary to delete anything since I only found this folder by opening up the hidden folders section, and the caution part of my brain tells me this stuff is hidden for a reason...

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!
-Chris

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Both files are probably remants of a DVD you burned. Just delete the folder to the Recycle Bin. Check that your PC works fine for a few days, then delete or clear the entire Recycle Bin. If you feel better about it, make a retore point before doing all this. After cleaning these files, run Disk Cleanup & Defrag Tool again.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 21 March 2007 - 11:36 PM.

granoladude

granoladude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the help! Now what would be the easiest way to set a restore point?

Am I being to cautious at this point or should I just delete it? Does it sound like this particular file is crucial to the computer's performance?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would go ahead and just delete the entire folder using Shift+Delete keys. Then use the Defrag Tool since this folder contained such a large file. To make a Restore point, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click System Restore. You'll see which box you need to check to start. Name the Restore point. It will take a few moments. This option should be turned on anyway. To check go, to Control Panel/System. Click System Restore tab and uncheck the box if checked. You can also adjust the disk space to use if you like.

Ron

granoladude

granoladude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ah okay excellent - thank you. Now, about the defrag tool. Will that be in the System panel as well?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Defragment Tool: Right-click the drive from Start/My Computer and select Properties. Click Tools tab. Click Defragment Now button. You can choose Analize first if you want.

Ron