Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade or Build New

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Well now that I have somewhat of an idea of what the computer would cost me to build I'm actually alittle cautious because I know I won't have enough money, I can spend on a computer, for atleast six months to a year..

Knowing this I'm kind of thinking of buying a cheap, decent graphics card...Sort of like my orginal intent but rather then try and get a GeForce 7600, I think I want to get something alittle less expensive....

I was trying to find a Graphics Card that had DX9, Pixel Shader 1.0+ (Preferabley 3.0), and preferabley a fan...

See all I really want to do is play Half Life 2, Counter Strike: Source, and maybe a few other Computer games probably the most high end being Battlestations: Midway or maybe GRAW...

I still intend on building a PC soon (hopefully within a year), however I'd like to be able to play some games soon :help:

Well I looked on newegg for a decent cheap AGP card and I came across this...Looks like it would do the job, what is your take on this graphics card?? :blink:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814145139

I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me so far :whistling:

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 04 April 2007 - 03:12 AM.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
here's a 7600 for less

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1560

combined with the pd there's no game my sons have that it can handle-no lag

had to get the card cuz one of the games required a 256 card

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

here's a 7600 for less

Yea but my comp is AGP and that is a PCIe card unfortunately...I did find this AGP- http://www.tigerdire...e...=2&NoMapp=0
for $109 but the rebate expires 4/30/07, so I'd have to hurry...

So which of the two cards is better ya think (anyone)???

Is there that big a difference between the two, then again if I can get a 7600 for only $9 more I will if you think its good...

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 04 April 2007 - 08:33 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

here's a 7600 for less

Yea but my comp is AGP and that is a PCIe card unfortunately...I did find this AGP- http://www.tigerdire...e...=2&NoMapp=0
for $109 but the rebate expires 4/30/07, so I'd have to hurry...

So which of the two cards is better ya think (anyone)???

Is there that big a difference between the two, then again if I can get a 7600 for only $9 more I will if you think its good...

the 7600gs is going to be better than a 7300gt.. I would go for the 7600gs of course no questions asked, I think you will be pleased with it for awhile until you save enough for a new pc.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
till you get the comp you want
try boosting the onboard graphics thru the bios

keep hitting delete as the computer boots
there should be a setting to allocate more mem to your graphics
it's probably at 64
see if there is a higher setting

shut down everything after it boots completely
except what you need for your game
also a fresh clean install will get rid of unneeded services and running programs not needed
this will make more of your 512 available for your graphics
which is set in the bios

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

the 7600gs is going to be better than a 7300gt.. I would go for the 7600gs of course no questions asked, I think you will be pleased with it for awhile until you save enough for a new pc.

Do you happen to know what Vertex shader and Pixel Shader the 7600gs has, I looked but wasn't able to find it on that page...

From what I could find, everything says it has 12 Pixel Shaders, but I'm alittle confused, I thought pixel shaders were measured like 1.0, or 2.0 etc....

Could you clarify :blink:

I'm also going to start looking at RAM...It kind of makes me laugh because I'm straying from my original intention of Building a computer but seeing as how in about two years I'm probably going to move and want to invest in a new computer, if I can use this comp alittle longer it would be cool..

till you get the comp you want
try boosting the onboard graphics thru the bios

keep hitting delete as the computer boots
there should be a setting to allocate more mem to your graphics
it's probably at 64
see if there is a higher setting

shut down everything after it boots completely
except what you need for your game
also a fresh clean install will get rid of unneeded services and running programs not needed
this will make more of your 512 available for your graphics
which is set in the bios

The problem is the onboard Graphics card takes away from my already minimal system RAM (512 mb) making most games clunky. For instance, Half Life 2 runs on my comp but it runs so laggy, with a very low frame rate its almost unplayable...

If I upgraded my RAM I could play HL2 but I would rather upgrade to an actual Graphics Card so that I can play a much wider variety of games...but thanks for the info.. :whistling:

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 05 April 2007 - 01:36 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
here's a cheap one
just add a dvd and another 512 and a graphics card

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1916

that wouldn't be 512 of pc3200 would it on your current machine?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
o and you probably need a cpu fan

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

here's a cheap one
just add a dvd and another 512 and a graphics card

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1916

that wouldn't be 512 of pc3200 would it on your current machine?

DDR SDRAM PC 2700
2 x 256

But I'm more interested in upgrading this PC within reason
but thanks for the idea...

I'm actually interested in picking up the AGP version of the card you suggest, pending the response of jrm20 telling me what Pixel/Vertex Shader it has...

I also may invest in a cheap 1024 stick of RAM for this computer and stick it in....

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 05 April 2007 - 04:13 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The 7600GS has Pixel Shader Model 3.0 and I found that under product information. Also, I am personally not a calm and waiting sort of guy, but if I was I would wait till the summer cause thats when the prices on CPUs are getting slashed. Plus, sorry maybe you already answered this but what is your maximum budget? That way I can maybe find a better deal for you.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
He's only buying a GPU and saving up for a build. Also the price cuts are as follows:
April 9th - AMD
April 22nd - Intel
If i were you I'd only get another stick of 512mb and spend a little more $$$ on the graphics card since AGP now costs more then the PCI-E equivalent. You money is better spent this way as the gaming you'll be doing won't be two intensive with features such as AA and HDR, so you won't see a very noticeable difference between the 1024mb of ram of 1536mb. Remember the ram your using now won't be a future investment either, as DDR won't work on your build later on, just thought I should point that out as you'll be needing DDR2, depending on the money you spend even DDR3 (but that'll be pretty expensive till a year passes).
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 April 2007 - 05:00 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

He's only buying a GPU and saving up for a build. Also the price cuts are as follows:
April 9th - AMD
April 22nd - Intel
If i were you I'd only get another stick of 512mb and spend a little more $$$ on the graphics card since AGP now costs more then the PCI-E equivalent. You money is better spent this way as the gaming you'll be doing won't be two intensive with features such as AA and HDR, so you won't see a very noticeable difference between the 1024mb of ram of 1536mb. Remember the ram your using now won't be a future investment either, as DDR won't work on your build later on, just thought I should point that out as you'll be needing DDR2, depending on the money you spend even DDR3 (but that'll be pretty expensive till a year passes).
James

If invested on a stick of 512 I'd only have 768 mb of RAM because I'm pretty sure I have 2 sticks of 256 mb...Also I was looking into the 7600 because I was hoping (and found out) it has Pixel Shader 3.0 and believe it would be able to play games like Battlestations: Midway and such games....

I'm also thinking of investing in a stick of 1024 down the road...I'd rather get the graphics card first because I'll have a larger variety of games to choose from when I look into comp games...

Anyway all that aside, you said I should spend alittle more money on a graphics card but I was wondering what you had in mind...because I'm alittle worried about bottle necking my computer...I also don't really want to spend more then 100 dollars, Unless you had something in mind..

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 06 April 2007 - 10:49 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
512+256+256=1024mb

Also, yes I am agreeing with you, get the graphics card before the ram. The graphics card will be the bottleneck before the memory. but once you can, get 1GB of ram, once you have that you shouldn't have any problem with memory being an issue, unless you begin to play on a vista setup or buying a better graphics card and begin playing with 16xAA and all the other effects.
JAmes

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

512+256+256=1024mb

Also, yes I am agreeing with you, get the graphics card before the ram. The graphics card will be the bottleneck before the memory. but once you can, get 1GB of ram, once you have that you shouldn't have any problem with memory being an issue, unless you begin to play on a vista setup or buying a better graphics card and begin playing with 16xAA and all the other effects.
JAmes

I think my computer only has 2 ram slots :whistling: 2 sticks of 256
Thats why I'm thinking when I up to a gig I'll get a stick of 1024.

Also if the Graphics Card is going to bottleneck for sure, it may be worth getting the RAM first...
That way WHEN I get the graphics card I'll be able to use it to its full potential...

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 07 April 2007 - 01:17 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Check how many slots you do have.
Get whatever you like but be sure that your ram is coming from the same manufacturer otherwise your other stick might not work with the other.
James