Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XFire + Mic

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I have never used XFire but I hear people use it to voice chat during First Person Shooter games. I really like the xbox voice communication setup. What I want to know if it would be possible to have game sound comming from my standard PC speakers and voice chat from a headset type microphone as in the xbox setup? If it is possible, suggested equipment? Will the xbox 360 headset work if I am playing a PC game using an xbox 360 controller?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I use Ventrilo (google it) to talk to friends when playing PC games. All you need is a microphone (or even headphones plugged into a microphone jack) and a Ventrilo server. To get a Ventrilo server, you can either buy one (for a monthly fee) or have you or a friend host it on their computer. However, that computer would have to be on whenever someone wanted to use the Ventrilo server. However, the sound from both the game and the voice chat will come out of the same place. There's no way to separate them.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
There are many Voice Communication programs but the best 2 are Ventrilo and TeamSpeak. (In my opinion). You can make XFire your Voice Communication program for free but it would be VERY hard to set up.

Edited by Jazza, 27 March 2007 - 06:09 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
until the windows live for pc is released (xbox live for the pc platform) I don't know of way to do that. For the pc, all sounds either come from the speakers or headset.

I use ventrilo and turn down the in games sounds so I can hear my friends. To the best of my knowledge, xbox live is the only one that offers the feature set your interested in.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and bought a headset mic but later that day my graphics card stopped working so I havn't even got to try it yet :whistling:. I like the x box but some games such as f.e.a.r. doesn't hav near the competition that it does on the PC.