Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless PC Card Not Working!

• Please log in to reply

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello!

I have a bit of a problem and I was wondering if anyone had any insight or ideas.

I have a laptop. A very old one, at that. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro, I believe and trust me, it's old.

The OS running on it is Windows 98 SE.

The harddrive is about 1 GB or around there.

I got it off of ebay for about $80 and it works fine.

However, I recently bought a wireless router. It's called a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, model WRT54G.

I have my current desktop computer hooked up to it, and I had a friend over who made sure it worked by testing it on his own laptop that got absolutely no signal until my wireless router was installed.

So I did some online shopping to look for the perfect wireless PC card for my laptop.

All the directions pointed me towards a Netgeat WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card.

It said everywhere that it was compatible with XP, 2000, and 98SE.

I bought it at Radioshack for about $49.99 and I saw that on the box, it said it was only compatible with XP and 2000. I decided to give it a try anyway.

I checked a .txt on the installation disk and it said that it was intended for use with 98SE as well.

I'm not sure if this is even the problem ...

But whenever I put the PC Card in my laptop (in both slots I tried) it does not recognize it at all.

Usually there is a beep or something, but there is nothing.

In the past, I have only tried one PC card that proved successful ... I can't get my hands on it at the moment, but it was for a dial-up modem. I tried it just the other day and it beeped and worked normally.

Could this be a problem with the card or with my Laptop?

Edited by RandomUserName, 22 March 2007 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Did you follow the instructions that came with it? Sometimes you HAVE to run the CD first.