Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error: "disabled by administrator".. I AM the administrator

• Please log in to reply

bincka

bincka

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello,
We have some former state-owned computers at work, and I have deleted all accounts,
deactivated guest account.
I am the administrator. My issue is that I cannot use Microsoft Update or Sys Restore. Error message, "Disabled by Administrator" I AM the adminisrator.
What the heck?
Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your account is probably labelled as "Computer Administrator". However, there is a default account installed by Windows setup called simply "Administrator" with no actual user name attached to it. It cannot be deleted. This account is normally hidden at the log-in screen and in the User Accounts applet of Control Panel. To make it visible you have to boot into safe mode where it will then be visible in the log-in screen.

However, it will probably have been protected with a password, so unless you know the password you won't be able to log-in to it.

Edited by pip22, 23 March 2007 - 08:15 AM.

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So,
Is there anything I can do? Reinstall XP probably won't work without the pw.
And I know GTG gives no advice about finding passwords.
Any Ideas?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Re-install of XP doesn't need a password -- just a valid product key. You can still buy a boxed copy of XP if you look round the software stores -- only a few left as they are now pushing Vista, but you don't want that or you'll have even bigger problems (with hardware compatibility).

Edited by pip22, 25 March 2007 - 09:21 AM.