Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup files need to be installed on second drive

• Please log in to reply

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,
Motherboard - ASRock P4VM800
Processor - Intel Celeron 2.93Ghz
HDD - IDE WD Caviar 160GB
HDD (2) - IDE Hitachi 80GB

So, let me begin.... Upgrading one of my systems to the above spec, when i try to install XP (SP2) after selecting the new partition on the 160GB drive to install on i am advised by the setup that "to be able to install on this partition, some startup files will need to be written on the following drive" pointing to my 80GB drive, "however this drive does not contain a windows compatable partition" as it already has a partition containing all my files that i backed up from my old system.
I have tried changing the IDE cables, creating a smaller partition to install to, but have had no luck.
If i use the unpartitioned 8MB of space on my 80GB drive to create a new compatable partition then setup will continue and the system will work fine, just means i have a new 8MB G: drive with my boot files...
Yeah it works but its not right, has anyone else had this problem before?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Will.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you say the 80 gig drive does not have a windows compatable partition is this saying that the drive is partitioned with linux or some other operating system file partitions? If this is true then you will not be able to access the files anyway as Windows does not recoginize linux partitions. XP does recoginize Fat32 partitions. Personally, i would just disconnect the data cable for the 80 G drive until after you install Win XP on the 160 G drive. Then later plug in the 80 G drive, making sure you have the 80 G in either CS(cable select) or Slave position in the drives jumpers. I have never had any problems with drives this way. You can always reformat the 80 G drive thru computer management/disk management.

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to try writing a boot.ini file and putting it in the drive you want startup to work from. If it doesn't work you can delete it without any problems.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you have the 80GB drive set as the Primary Master & the 160GB drive set as either primary slave or secondary master.

If this is the case, then you just need to reconfigure the drives so that the 160GB is the master - change the jumpers on the rear of the drives & make sure that the 160GB is on the last connector on the IDE cable on the first (primary) IDE port. The 80GB drive can be jumpered as a slave & connected to the middle connector of the IDE cable.

wf4

wf4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks very much for your help...

I completely removed the 80GB and started the machine up.... it look about 2 minutes to POST then let me continue to boot from CD! I have never know it take that long then be sucessfull!

Now i have reconnected the 80GB and it up and running as i wanted!

Will.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Glad you got it fixed.
I always find that it is best to remove all other drives and only use 1 HD as I am reformatting and installing. That way there is no confusion or mistakes, (like wiping out what you wanted to save).