Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Key Board problem

• Please log in to reply

xgetchoo22

xgetchoo22

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I got a single drop of water on my dell laptop on accident and it ended up ruining the "o" key. now it rarely works and it throws in o's when im trying to type. I will call up dell to have a some one come and fix it (as i am still under warranty) but i am really busy now and i prefer to do it in a couple of days. I have resorted to typing by copying an "o" and just using ctrl + v to paste it when i am typing( i have become fairly good at it) i was wondering if there was a way to disconnect the "o" key so it wont automatically type random o's all the time. can this be done?

thank you very much.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I had a client that got water on a laptop keyboard while watering houseplants and about half the keys didn't work...she left it on for about 3 days and it dried out enough that most of the keys started working and after fighting with it using the copy paste trick like you are doing ...all the keys eventually started working again

xgetchoo22

xgetchoo22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well thanks but, its kind of been a problem for a week now. it's dry. i suppose i should stop being lazy and just give the dell guy a call

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It probably won't be covered by warranty, turn it sideways near a fan and let it dry out. If it's only water it shouldn't be a problem, if it's any other liquid, beer or soda pop, then oddly enough you may need to wash it out and let it thoroughly dry before using it. This modern electronic stuff is practically born in water, there are huge water tanks outside all the chip and circuit makers, so a little more usually doesn't hurt anything.