Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Broken?

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hello.

I am in dire need of assistance, Geekstogo.

I have been trying to fix this on my own and research it but to no avail.

My computer ((posting on my laptop)) will not start up any more. Today, a shipment of RAM came in the mail - 1 GB.
I finished installing it and noticed no difference in lag in the MMO's I play, was mildly disappointed. So I was talking to a friend and thought that my GFX card driver might not be up to date. So i tried installing a new one and I got some strange message about .NET something-or-other, and I needed it before I installed the new driver. So I tried to download that, and I got some Error 1722 message. After that my computer just froze up and I tried to start up my computer after shutting it off and I got a blue screen saying The Video driver failed to initialize, or something; some kind of error with a bunch of zero's, like 0x000000b4 or something. I don't remember too well. Anyway, I shut my computer down and tried taking the ram back out.

Once I did, my computer would not even turn on. I would power it on and it would make a noise and turn off.
I left it alone for about an hour and came back, and now when it starts up, it just sits there and beeps for 6-7 seconds straight and stops, and then repeats the beeping.

A couple times, when I moved the 512mb stick already there and the 1 GB stick of ram that I ordered swapping them into different places or leaving one out, it would startup and go to the very first initial screen and check everything, etc
Anyway, it freezes up at that screen after the 2nd line with something about MEMORY, but it says its status is OK.
I don't know what to do, and I'd really like my computer working for spring break
Can anyone please help me??

:whistling:

My friend says I may have send an electrical shock through the computer and may have completely broken it. Is this true? ><

Edited by Oniketsoku, 23 March 2007 - 07:56 PM.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Let me see what I can do.

First off, we may need to try a spare video card, can you borrow one from a friend, or do you have onboard graphics but disabled?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I do not have a spare Graphics card. I do not think I'll be able to borrow one from a friend, but if I hypothetically can what should I do?

Also I don't know about the onboard graphics.

On my computer's condition right now, it just turns on and my monitor just stays blank and gets no signal from the PC whatsoever.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
other things you may want to try..
try booting into safe mode....
no joy..
remove the "new " video card and ram...put the old stuff in you had before upgrading..try booting

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I took the new ram out and put in the old ram, and also put in my old video card.
It makes no difference, my computer starts up and immediately freezes upon starting up at the very first screen.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
The BIOS or Windows?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are the beep codes you get now...is it like 3 short 1 long...count the beeps and post back ..also include your mobo make and model #

Edited by happyrck, 24 March 2007 - 11:08 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
It's just one quick noise and then proceeds to startup as normal, but freezes at the screen that tells me my processor specs and Memory: <numbers> OK

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Also I believe my motherboard is P4M800-M

Figured I'd throw this out here, my old GFX card was a Radeon 9000, new one is a Radeon X1050
Both AGP.

Yeah, it freezes at the BIOS screen. I think? I forget what that is. It doesn't come close to making it to windows.

I have managed now to get into the BIOS screen, it's all blue and called something like BIOS CMOS Setup Utility

Edited by Oniketsoku, 24 March 2007 - 11:32 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Anyone have input?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its not getting thru the POST ( power On Self Test ) then your power supply is probably dead or dieing..if you can get into your bios try disabling fast boot then try to boot..watch the screen to see where it hangs...

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
alright..i was only able to get into BIOS once, by mashing DEL and luckily got in, ill try that and get back to you
but i just called my friend on the phone and he said it might be the power supply too, so yeah, that's probably it

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
No, I am currently unable to get into the BIOS. It just sits there frozen on the screen, and pressing DEL/F2/anything does nothing.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
FYI:

Original IBM POST error codes

* 1 short beep - Normal POST - system is OK
* 2 short beeps - POST error - error code shown on screen
* No beep - Power supply or system board problem
* Continuous beep - Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
* Repeating short beeps - Power supply or system board problem or keyboard
* 1 long, 1 short beep - System board problem
* 1 long, 2 short beeps - Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
* 1 long, 3 short beeps - Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
* 3 long beeps - 3270 keyboard card

POST beep codes on CompTIA A+ Hardware Core exam

These POST beep codes are covered specifically on the CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Exam:
Beeps Meaning
Steady, short beep Power supply may be bad
Long continuous beep tone Power supply bad or not plugged into motherboard correctly
Steady, long beeps Power supply bad
No beep Power supply bad, system not plugged in, or power not turned on
No beep If everything seems to be functioning correctly there may be a problem with the 'beeper' itself.
One long, two short beeps Video card failure

Good luck.

Ron

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thanks.

I seem to be getting 1 short one though which would imply my system is OK =X

But it's still sitting there frozen at the POST screen ><

Btw, I've been told it's either my motherboard or my power supply.
I don't know if this is correct, just throwing that out there.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 24 March 2007 - 07:17 PM.