Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer seems choppy?

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok i just built a new comp about a month ago............... and there it goes............whenever i type or run any type of program it like does little skips or pauses for like 2 letters and resumes by catching up to where i should be at............i'm not sure what would cause this since the computer is new and my old one was faster than this...........????????????? all my programs act like this not just word or my browser.......i don't think its any type of malicious software or spyware/adware because i run scans with Spybot/adaware/norton 2005/registry mechanic/ms antispyware almost everyday.

any ideas???

Matt :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Matt,

List you specs, has this just started or did it do it from the start?

Check and see what percentage of load is on your cpu when you are on the desk top with no programs running.

does it ever reboot or bsod?
Post your temps

Try running memtest86 for 3 passes and post back

Rick

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey Rick,

My specs are as follows:

P4 3.0 Ghz 1mb Cacshe w/ HT Tech
Intel D865 PERL Mobo 800Mhz Fsb
512 Mb Dual Channel RAM Kingston
120 GB IDE Western Digital HD
DVD-ROM Drive IDE Toshiba (model#???)
CD-RW IDE (Brand Model#???)
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Pro AGP

Started doing this a about last week.........for example......my old computer with 256mb RAM 400Mhz Fsb and 1.6Ghz could run photoshop 7.0 no problem.........this one ends in a program not responding everytime!!!

It has BSOD once and that was when i was configuring my drivers and stuff........

Do i run memtest86 using the RUN under start prompt or do i need to dl a program?

Matt

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
oh to answer your question about the CPU usage when no programs are running.............. it is about at 1-2% and that is with steam, norton, and antispyware running in the background

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Don't worry about the cpu usage thats fine,

It may help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing it if it happens to bsod again, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

You can get memtest right here just follow the instructions, you make a bootable floppy and boot from it to test your ram

What about your temps? you can use Everast get it here it will give you a lot of info and temps on the video card and hdd by clicking on sensors after you install it.

Let me know how you make out.

Rick