Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP_Recovery (D:) Question

• Please log in to reply

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is there a way to remove unused programs from my D drive? The File System is "FAT32" . Capacity is at 6.07 GB, Free Space is 735MB, Percent of free Space is 11%. I am pretty sure there are programs that are no longer used on this drive, and would like to know what I can do to free up space on this drive, if anything.

Thanks,
Gamblin22

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you don't need any of the programs on drive D: it would be easiest to backup any data on the disk that you may need and reformat it to NTFS file system. After format you can return the data back to the disk.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
How do I go about backing up this data on this drive? And How do I reformat to NTFS file system? I have some DVD-R disc available if I need them for this process.

Thanks
Gamblin22

Edited by Gamblin22, 24 March 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
BTW- my operating system is Windows 2000, Windows XP SP2.

Gamblin22.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If there is enough space on your c: drive then the easiest way is to copy the files that you want to keep from d: and paste them to c:

After copying the files to c: go to "my computer" click c: and open the folder in which you kept the files from d:. This is done to make sure that everything was copied.

If there is not enough space on c: then you can burn the files to a cd.

To format d: go to "my computer", right click d: and choose the format option. By default it should format to ntfs, full format (as opposed to quick format, which you don't want now).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bearing in mind that if you wipe Drive D, your built-in system Recovery options will no longer work and you will lose everything that was preinstalled on your HP computer if you need to use a Windows CD to recover the system later.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 March 2007 - 03:55 AM.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll give that a try as far as burning a copy to CD. I made a copy of everything (Recovery CD's) when I first got this computer, just in case I ever needed it.I appreciate the tip!

Thanks,
Gamblin22