Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I theft proof CD text?

• Please log in to reply

alaska

alaska

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have three years worth of typing (history research) that I want to temporarily share with some people but I don't want them to "steal" it. Is there any software that I can stop others from copy and pasting from my CD text on to their computer? Any suggestions??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you don't want anything to be stolen from yourself text-wise, the only real solution is to not share it at all.
Copy & Paste has been a built-in part of Windows since well before Windows 3.1 came out as it was an Apple idealogy introduced in the early 1980s.
With all due respect, if you feel the need to protect your work from others just to show them it as opposed to actually them editing it, maybe you should not be working with those individuals.

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If you don't want anything to be stolen from yourself text-wise, the only real solution is to not share it at all.
Copy & Paste has been a built-in part of Windows since well before Windows 3.1 came out as it was an Apple idealogy introduced in the early 1980s.
With all due respect, if you feel the need to protect your work from others just to show them it as opposed to actually them editing it, maybe you should not be working with those individuals.

Actually, I want to eventually sell my research and I was hoping to publish it on CD. However, if people can just copy and paste my research from a friends CD...well, that wouldn't be good. Can you think of a solution for this problem?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PDF files might be one option, you should be able to disallow selecting the text. Many solutions to create them too - OpenOffice will do it, as will PDF995, though whether these allow setting of appropriate security settings I can't say.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I agree with Niel's suggestion. In addition to disabling the "select" text feature you can even watermark your document (electronic and physical).

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I agree with Niel's suggestion. In addition to disabling the "select" text feature you can even watermark your document (electronic and physical).

How do I disable the "select" text feature.