Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall DirectX & reinstall the most stable version

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
This is my previous post. I am looking to uninstall and reinstall DirectX cause I remember downloading and installing a new version from the Microsoft website that lead to my computer crashing up, well that's what I believe is causing it so I need to do this to check. Please any help is geatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
What version of Direct X did you update to? Have you tried Start > Run and type dxdiag then press <Enter> and run the tests to see if there are problems with your Direct X?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I just ran the tests and they all went fine without any errors or problems. Hmm, I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). Well, most probably it's either the reinstallation of DirectX or Office 2007 that will resolve my computer's actual problem, if you went to the link to my previous post you'd know more but ya I thought I'd try reinstalling DirectX first, if that doesn't work I'll move towards Office 2007.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I remembered your previous post. I replied on how to slipstream SP2 to do a repair install. I can't see where Direct X 9.0c should be causing your problem. You can Google uninstall Direct X, but some of those programs were buggy and caused their own problems.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes I remember that but I'm not looking into doing a repair installation of Windows because I was told I would have to reinstall much of the programs, computer updates etc. If that is the case I would prefer to back up all my important data and completely do a fresh installation of Windows XP but that is the worst case scenario so for now it is not being thought about. I was lead to believe that either software or hardware could cause the problems and errors I am encountering with my computer. I have checked the memory in my machine and it seems to be error-free. From the software perspective, I've only installed two new softwares to what the computer problems can be associated with and like I said before, I thought I'd start with DirectX and then if that doesn't help I would move on to uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office 2007. If that doesn't work either I will run a few diagnostics on my machine, not quite sure right now what test can be run to diagnose what part of the computer. Anyway I did google it like you said and well it says that it's not the best idea to uninstall directx but better to just reinstall the latest version so I think I'll do that very soon and post back and let you know whether it worked out and got rid of the problems or not.
Thanks for the help.