Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems integrating AD to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

• Please log in to reply

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi all,

I've got a Windows 2003 server and I have been trying to integrate Active Directory to Windows 2000 Advance Server (a virtual server) but with no success. As I'm sure you know, the DNS needs to be setup to allow this so went through the DNS wizard to set it up and came across 3 options and one of them was for integration and was greyed out.

Is there any way to get that option to be available so that I can integrate Active Directory to the 2000 Advanced Server operating system??

The operating system is connected to the Internet and pinged successfully.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So your saying you are trying to migrate your existing AD created from a Windows Server 2003 enviroment to a Windows Server 2000 enviroment? Im not sure you can do that for the fact that there are a ton of changes in the AD structure from 2000 to 2003.

The first thing i would try is the Migration Tool from Microsoft here, http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Also, when creating your root DNS the 3 options should be Primary, Secondary and Stub. Which one is greyed out?

Edited by Cilix, 26 March 2007 - 09:19 PM.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I had a feelin that migrating AD from 2003 to 2000 might not work. The option greyed out is Stub, the first one at the top of the window.

So your saying you are trying to migrate your existing AD created from a Windows Server 2003 enviroment to a Windows Server 2000 enviroment? Im not sure you can do that for the fact that there are a ton of changes in the AD structure from 2000 to 2003.

The first thing i would try is the Migration Tool from Microsoft here, http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Also, when creating your root DNS the 3 options should be Primary, Secondary and Stub. Which one is greyed out?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you trying to set up like a backup domain controller or are you trying to replace a server?

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It will be a backup server, I managed it with a virtual Windows 2003 server.

Any suggestions??