Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

cooldude76230

cooldude76230

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought a Seagate SATA 400GB drive and my computer will not acknowledge its existence. This is the second drive that has been installed in this computer. The other drive is an IDE drive.

The device manager doesnt display the drive's name, neither does the computer management window or the drive's own software. I made sure all the connections were correct and everything.

I upgraded my BIOS as well and it still doesn't recognize that it is there.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't know about Windows Vista, but Windows XP does not support SATA hard disks natively. Unlike IDE disks, SATA hard disks need the mobo or SATA-controller manufacturer's SATA drivers installed before the system can 'see' it. Note, it's not the actual hard disk that needs a driver, it's the SATA controller the drive's connected to which needs the driver. Once that's done, the system should see any make of hard disk that's connected to that controller.

Edited by pip22, 27 March 2007 - 01:48 AM.

cooldude76230

cooldude76230

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Where would I get these drivers? I dont know who made what on the computer. How would I know who manufactured the sata controller?