Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The taskbar is really fugly now...

• Please log in to reply

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi everyone, as soon as I had a problem with my computer, I came straight here, because I know how great you guys are, youve helped me before. Thanks!

Anyway, yesterday, I shut off my computer without doing the proper shut down procedure; I just shut off the power by accident. The next time I turned it on, the ugly blue booting screen came up, and told me it needed to scan some disc drive for fat32 or something (Im not totally sure, and I cant check because it doesnt do that anymore when I turn it on) and then I ended up at my desktop as usual. However, the taskbar had changed to the old school, windows 95 style - gray and square. For some reason, I cant change it back to XP.

I also have this other problem, Im not sure if its related to the fat32 thing, but probably to the shutdown improperly thing; my internet seems to be messed up. This problem started at the same time as the taskbar, when I turned my comp back on. When I click on internet explorer, my regular home page shows up as it normally would, and so do some pages that were saved in the History. I think these show up okay because of cookies or something. Any other page, like geekstogo.com, or microsoft.com or w/e doesnt load, and instead I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message, along with a link to a "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP" wizard that just tells me Im not connected. (If any of the technical details that it gives me could be useful to anybody, Ill post them later) When I try other programs that rely on internet connections, I get errors and messages too.

Can anybody tell me what to do? Itd be greatly appreciated!

Edited by FyshStyx, 27 March 2007 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have you tried a System Restore

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried clicking on it from the Accessories > System Tools menu, but nothing comes up.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Right click My Computer then Properties. Select the System Restore tab and see if the box is checked to turn off System Restore. If it is you will not be able to use it.

Right click My Computer then Properties. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Do you see any error signs?

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The System Restore box was unchecked, and the device manager gave me no error messages.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
System Restore will still not open? Try it in Safe Mode.

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah.. I tried safe mode (the regular type, not the command prompt one), and it asked me to choose Yes or No. I tried both yes and no, but system restore still didnt work.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I followed all of the instructions that the site gave me, but nothing worked. I could complete all of the steps except for the ones where System Restore shows up. Nothing is happening when I enter the commands that the microsoft site says to enter into the prompt. I dont know why nothing works..

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start> Run and type services.msc then press the ENTER key. Scroll down to System Restore Service and double click on it. Change the Startup type: dropdown box to Automatic then click the Start button. Click Apply> OK and close out of Services. See if System Restore will function.

Advertisements

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did all of that, but when I clicked the Start button, a message came up: "The System Restore Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

If I click Apply, I get another message: "Configuration Manager: The Plug and Play service or another required service is not available."

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks as if the restore service was disabled sometimes ago and there are no restore points to go to.

If you have the xp cd, or if you can borrow one of the same type, insert it into the cd drive then click start > run > sfc /scannow. A dialog box will show up with a progressive bar. This process will restore damaged system files. It takes sometime and at the end the bar just disappears. Reboot and see what happenss.

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, i got up to the part where the dialog box comes up with the bar, but then another message pops up: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now." Then, I can click on Retry, where the same message pops up a split second later; More Info, which just tells me I might have the wrong disc in; or Cancel, which asks me if I want to skip the file, and possibly be asked later to put the SP2 disc in.

The thing is, I updated to SP2 straight from microsoft.com, so I never HAD a SP2 cd. Is there any way around this?

Edited by FyshStyx, 28 March 2007 - 01:48 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your disk xp pro SP1 or even just xp? I am afraid that you will need to get the disk required by the system.

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I think its just XP. Ill look for the disc it needs, and then Ill post what happens.