Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The taskbar is really fugly now...

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Microsoft has an article here describing how to fix an incorrect prompt for a CD you don't have.

You may want to consider a XP Repair installation. However, you will have to download and reinstall all updates, so try SFC first.

Advertisements

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, I followed the instructions on that site that you posted Pi, but all that it did was change the message. Instead of telling me to insert the Professional XP SP2 disc, it tells me to insert Home XP SP2 disc. Ill wait a little while before I do the XP Repair thing, to see what else you can tell me.

Edited by FyshStyx, 30 March 2007 - 12:53 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Just change the description of the two .inf files to whatever CD you have. If it is just Windows XP Professional, change the Home back to Professional and remove the SP2.

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No matter what I change it to, it keeps asking me to insert the disc. Ive tried changing the name to Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition, and to Windows XP Professional. The disc itself says "Windows XP - Home Edition" (I tried that too), but all that happens is it tells me to insert whatever I change the name to.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Oh, sorry.

Please go to Start | Run and type regedit. Then, after backing up the registry, check the string in the following keys called "SourcePath":
(it's just like navigating through folders in Windows Explorer)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\windows NT\CurrentVersion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\setup

Is the drive letter the same as your CD drive letter?

FyshStyx

FyshStyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, I noticed the first link in the first line of text in your signature before you posted, and I followed the instructions on the page. The only thing I didnt do was back up the registry. Im pretty sure that they both were directed at the disc drive, so I changed them to "C:\". The thing is, it still tells me to insert the disc...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can borrow xp pro sp2 it will make life much easier for you. It's a very common disk. Regarding repair: this is an option that I use only as a last resort before formatting because very often it's not successful and you end up with more problem then you started with.