Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Svchost using 100% of CPU

• Please log in to reply

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have problems with svchost.exe maxing out the cpu every once in a while. I did a search to find where svchost was located on the hard drive, and I came up with the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819
Are these locations ok?

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
yer i think they r the right locations but dont take my word foro it
yer im having same problem its using like all the cpu up

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This is a recognized problem at Microsoft, and for the most part is usually associated with Automatic Updates.
http://forums.micros...e...29&SiteID=2
To test, go to Control Panel>System>Automatic Updates tab, and mark the radio button by the red shield "Turn off Automatic Updates." If this stops the svchost activity, then pati610 provides the correction in the above referenced link, and you should be able to turn the Auto-updates back on without the problem. If necessary, of course, it is not too complicated to obtain the updates manually. Remember, if that is your choice, that the updates and patches provided for the system are essential to the well-being and security of Windows, and it will be your responsiblity to obtain them.