Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DI-514 router IP conflict

• Please log in to reply

gladiator161

gladiator161

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;)
I recently bought a Dlink DI-514 to connect my laptop to my current sbc dsl. I setup the network properly, ran the setup instructions, and can connect to the internet with my hard wired desktop. When I connect using my laptop, it drops the connection and I have to reset the router.
:tazz:
I traced the problem back to the DHCP client list. When all setup, it lists only my laptop IP address, not the hard wired desktop. I tested the IPconfig on both comps, and they are within the range of the router, one ending in 100 and the other in 110. I called D-link and got their usual FAQ sheet help, suggesting I update the firmware. Did that - no help.
:mad: ;)
Before I throw the router through my window - why will it only recognize my wireless laptop IP and not the hard wired desktop comp that I set it up with, and how do I fix it so my network won't crash anymore?

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
very strange so do these systems have static ips or are u using the router as a dhcp server to assign each system a ip?

gladiator161

gladiator161

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
dhcp type

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
my router is a dlink 504t was problamatic to start with after a couple of firmware updates most went away so try that if ur still having problems try to set it up more manually so specify the dns server and disable dhcp and use statics see if any of that helps.

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Which modem do you have?
which is handling the connection? the modem or the router?

If you have the speedstream 5100, and it has a total of 5 lights, and 4 are lit and green, do a hard reset of your router and just plug it in.