Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP FREEZES on the first ACCESS to Network (After Resuming)

• Please log in to reply

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows XP FREEZES on the first ACCESS to Network (After Resuming)
---
I have a really annoying problem in my system.
I use Windows XP pro, with SP2 and the latest updates / hotfixes

I don’t know what I have changed exactly, but a few months ago, my system (After YEARS of resuming very nicely from hibernation) started to FREEZE COMPLETELY after coming back to life.
This happened after some UPDATES from Microsoft, but I COULD NOT isolate what / IF.

I have isolated the problem: it occurs OVER the FIRST network access that is performed. Updating anti-virus, Getting mail, browsing. Ping command does not freeze the system, though.

I tried:
- AntiSpywares (realtime, online). I use AVG Free anti-virus and I’m behind a router.
- Windows file checker utility (with Scannow)
- Making a BAT routine to Hibernate, disabling the Network, Hibernating, and enabling it back after resume, with no success.
Change network drivers many times (I now have the latest REALTEK RTL8139/810x drivers
Change network drivers configuration (wake up on) to enable / disable.
Enabling / disabling all NETWORK devices (though I installed them AFTER the problem started), like IR, BlueTooth, and Firewire adapters (still disabled)

I could use all the help.

Thanks.

Advertisements