Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible infection - rootkit or malware/spyware

• Please log in to reply

jade7837

jade7837

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys. So I'm new here, but I've found many helpful answers so here's my problem and I hope someone can help.

When I turn on my computer, sometimes it won't even get to the log-in when you type your password and log-in to Windows. I have XP on my IBM desktop. The computer is 1 year old. Lately, when I turn it on, these colored bar code-type pixelized lines fill my screen in a grid-like pattern, and everything freezes. I have to re-boot. i just recently removed lzx32/PE386 off my machine and it was fine for the last 2 months. These symptoms occurred back then but had stopped after PE386/lzx32 was removed. I am wondering if I did not remove all the [bleep] streams/files associated with that . So now these symptoms have come back again and as you can imagine I am so irritated. I have to re-start sometimes 35-50 times just to get Windows on. Then, after 10-75 minutes (you never know when) that pixel stuff starts and it locks up. Then it just won't come on after awhile of rebooting because re-starting it 30 times is probably overwhelming it..then the keyboard lights blink, I can hear a fan clicking in the CPU and that's the end of that. It loops in half-boot sequence until I take it apart.

When I opened the CPU, the fan on the videocard was looping, I removed the card but the sound was still there. I listened, and it's coming from the box of wires in the CPU. However, it's not overheating or power supply because it works on every other machine.

So I am assuming this is time-release malware or some such garbage, as every 24th or 25th of the month, this same thing starts up. I really am getting flustered with it, violently so. I removed Spysheriff last summer and was fine. Then in Jan. the pixel bar code crap started, and now my computer shuts off sometimes and the keyboard lights blink over & over and that's that. Only way for me to get it working is to unplug everything, remove the video card, power cables, and leave it for 1-8 hours.

I am SURE the hardware is NOT the issue. The card works fine in any other machine and the power supplies are brand new and are fine. How can I find this malware? AVG has been running (Anti virus & anti spyware I had) but they are obviously a waste as every day it says "No threats found" yet I have this crap. There are no other symptoms such as slow internet activity, etc. I even checked my registry it's clean.

Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread/forum but I had nowhere else I thought to put it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements