Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beyond hope? Power supply or something more?

• Please log in to reply

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Computer: Compaq Presario S6000NX with Celeron, XP, 256MB. 3 years old (I think. Maybe 2, but I think 3).

History: last night there was a scheduled power outage that I didn't know was scheduled. Computer was on and in use; power went out; I unplugged the computer from the wall so as to protect it when the power came back on. Woke up this AM, plugged it in and got nothing but a quickly blinking green power light on the front, and also quickly blinking on the power supply in the back (a Bestec ATX-250-12Z Rev.d that is the one that the computer came with). Lights continued blinking, though slowing, for 30 seconds or so after I unplugged it; I assume that's a normal capacitor thing.

Power cord, outlet etc. etc. were confirmed fine. Power button feels as it should. Connections from the switch to the mother board seemed fine.

I opened the case and unplugged everything that the power supply was plugged into (nothing fancy, just one hard drive, one floppy, CD-RW, plus the 20-pin to the motherboard and the 4-pin to the mb), then plugged it into the outlet again. No light on either the front or the power supply this time, blinking or otherwise.

I live in the sticks, so I went to the only store within 50 miles that has power supplies, and bought the only one they had, an Antec Basiq 350W. The Antec doesn't have a light on the back, for what that's worth, but it does have a separate on/off switch. I reconnected everything, turned it on, and I got nothin'. No power light on the front, and no fan, either, though maybe the Antec doesn't turn on unless it gets warm enough?

Does that mean my mother board is fried too? Why was I at least getting a blinking green light on the front from the other power supply, but nothing from this one? That confuses me.

Is there any hope? Any suggestions? I really don't need anymore paperweights!

ETA: And no, unfortunately I don't have any sort of volt meter, and wouldn't know how to use one if I did!

Thanks.

Julie

Edited by Twins_1997, 29 March 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The Compaq supply may be proprietary so a regular supply may not work in it's place. I think Google can really be your friend on this one, and the Compaq/HP website too.

Edited by Tyger, 29 March 2007 - 08:49 PM.

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks, Tyger.

Sorry, another question:

If I have the presumably faulty power supply removed from the computer, and I plug it into the wall just stand-alone, if the power supply were functional, would the green light on the back light up? It does not light up when I plug it in, and I'm just wondering whether that would be a sure sign that the power supply is shot.

The guy at Staples (the only place with power supplies around here) says he thinks that Antec I tried should have worked, but I'm not sure whether he actually knew what he was talking about.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am not sure about the green light on the PSU coming on. I suspect it should indicate power to the PSU, but it may only come on when it is turned on by its "signal". Again, I am not sure. I do not have any comps that have lights on them.
As for the PSU turning on by itself, that will not happen. When it is disconnected from the computer, it requires a "signal". That signal comes from the momentary pushing of the power button. There are power supply testers that will do that for you.
Since you do not know how to use a multimeter, the following would be for referance only.
Shorting 2 pins on the plug to the supply (the 20 pin to the MB) and seeing if it will start will tell if the supply is good.
The site shown HERE shows how.

A google search shows that Staples does carry a tester for $ 13.83 US. I would call them first, if you go that route.
STAPLES

Your problem could be the supply, and also the MB.
With power off and unplugged, take a real good look at the board for any burned spots. Do you smell anything really foul or odd?

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you, 123Runner. I haven't tried the shorting thing yet, but I did check out the motherboard and don't see or smell anything odd. I did have the phone line plugged in, though (I'm on dial-up), with no surge protection, so it's surely a very distinct possibility.

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Just wanted to add an update in case it's helpful to anyone down the line: I ordered a replacement power supply -- identical to the one that died -- and installed it and that did the trick. Apparently either the Antec isn't compatible, or there was some sort of operator error when I installed it. I feel very fortunate that the motherboard wasn't fried, as that would have been over my head.

Thank you for your help, everyone!

Edited by Twins_1997, 22 April 2007 - 07:08 PM.

tmudge

tmudge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
wow. 2 days ago there was a bad thunder storm and it knockced the power out while i was on my compaq. i unplugged it when it shut off and later that night after the storm i tried turning it on and it was the exact same thing with the blinking light and everything. i dug into my power supply box yesterday and changed the fuse that was buried in there...but now the light doesnt even blink. i was about to give up on it until i found your thread twins....i was so happy to hear there is hope, Thanks!

Zz-ToP

Zz-ToP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi.... I have the same problem.... I find on Google that's it can be fix... 1 you can go on hp.com and look there power suppl troubleshooting I have hp pavilion a 457c and you need disconnect cord... press button 5 sec... then change power specification form 115 to 250 for 5 sec and bring it back... plug power cord and run! Yeppp it help me ... i start it 3 times and then again... nothing work... i try reset bios and step all steps with hp online... I think problem in motherboard.... how ever today i will look more if i find something i posted...