Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system advice

• Please log in to reply

deja

deja

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to all this but i was wondering if i could get some advice on putting together a new machine.
I'm looking at a Core 2 Duo Processor but I dont really know where to go from there.
I want a machine for Uni work and also one thats fast enough to play the current PC games without any hiccups or anything.
Oh and I dont tend to use much hard disk space i think I am at like 10/200gb used at the moment or something like that which is a total waste but my current computer really struggles when i do a few things at once so I am guessing that means more ram.
Thanks in advance

Oh and by the way maximum sorta price is $1500 AUS or $1000 US, I couldnt be bothered doing conversion rates properly etc but yeah around that mark.

Edited by deja, 30 March 2007 - 04:23 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Read this website and look thru the options so you can decide what you want to spend.

http://www.buyxg.com...onfigurator_top

My options choices are:

intel E6400
intel DP965LT motherboard
1 gig memory
geforce 7600GS 512MB PCI-E
creative SB audigy SE
Vista home premium

Cost is $920

I cannot even buy these parts separately and build this for this price. My own price was $1156 for all the parts. What this site can do is give you a general idea of the choices you should make.

SRX660

deja

deja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thankyou for this site, It's got alot of great Information.
I'll have a look around and see if i can set something up and see what you think.

deja

deja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I had a look at the site and came up with this:

Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T

INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

(Quad-Core Supports) ECS P965T-A P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

(Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

NEW !!! NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

So i guess thats the core stuff I omitted Hard Drive and optical devices etc

Total cost: $978.00

Would you say I need to change anything there or will that give me a fast and reliable machine?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
ECS motherboards are known as budget ( read cheap)boards. For only $22 more i would prefer using the Intel MB.

Read the reviews on newegg on these boards to help you decide.

ECS
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135022

Intel
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121035

Although 2 gigs of memory is nice I find it to be unnecessary for any computer use except extreme on-line gaming. I find windows seldom uses all the memory. I would rather spend the money on a audigy sound card for the better sound.

Ultimately it is your choice to what you want. I just wanted you to see what the possibilities would cost. With this website you can try many different setups and find what the cost difference would be.

SRX660