Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer completely turns off, randomly

• Please log in to reply

Haylsinator

Haylsinator

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My pc has been turning itself off, completely and randomly for some time now. It doesn't happen too frequently, but enough to be troublesome.

There is no warning at all, the screen goes blank and the tower goes quiet.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem may be and any input is welcomed.

I have to be honest in the fact that I know hardly anything about about computers so I may not understand some of the jargon you may use :whistling: but I thank you for your help!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. First potential cause to investigate would be heat. Shut down the computer and remove AC power. Open the case and inspect for dirt/dust. Use some canned air in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner and carefully clean it up. Use the canned air to blow the dust out of the CPU fan and heat sink fins, as well as the case fans. Use the vacuum cleaner to prevent the dust from being blown around inside the case where it can easily be sucked right back into the places you just blew it out of. If this does not fix it, you can begin using the event viewer to investigate other potential causes. Clean up is an easy fix. Hope that does it!

Edited by austin_o, 31 March 2007 - 09:05 AM.

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
IF you dont think you have any viruses, itcould be a heating promlem. check your fans.