Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Leon05

Leon05

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I want to upgrade to 4 gigs or RAM from 2 gigs, as I am planning on switching to the 64-bit version of Vista and want to upgrade the memory at the same time. I was wondering if I have to buy the same brand/model as my current memory to make it compatible?

I have:

Motherboard: DFI nf4 SLI-DR Expert
Current RAM: Corsair XMS 2 gigs (not sure of specific model, not sure how to check it without opening tower)

Any suggestions on what I should get? Looking for 2 gigs less than $200.
Also, how do I go about optimizing the memory once it's all installed? I don't know anything about timings, etc.

Thanks!

Edited by Leon05, 31 March 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I want to upgrade to 4 gigs or RAM from 2 gigs, as I am planning on switching to the 64-bit version of Vista and want to upgrade the memory at the same time. I was wondering if I have to buy the same brand/model as my current memory to make it compatible?

I have:

Motherboard: DFI nf4 SLI-DR Expert
Current RAM: Corsair XMS 2 gigs (not sure of specific model, not sure how to check it without opening tower)

Any suggestions on what I should get? Looking for 2 gigs less than $200.
Also, how do I go about optimizing the memory once it's all installed? I don't know anything about timings, etc.

Thanks!

Your motherboard supports DDR 200/333/400 184 pin memory.. There is many programs to find out how fast the memory is running at but try cpuz and download it. Then goto the memory tab and it will list what speed of memory you have installed. It doesnt really matter what brand you get but make sure you get the same speed of memory like if you already have ddr2 400 which is pc3200 then stick with the same exact speed because if you happen to get slower memory all of the sticks of ram will run at the slowest speed.