Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

raid 0 setup problems with Asus M2N-E board

• Please log in to reply

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello my geek buddies:

I have a major problem and was hoping to get some insights from all the genius' here. I just bought some new components for a new build, listed below

Asus (model: M2N-E) 570CP non-SLI motherboard
AMD Brisbane 3600+ 65nm core 1.9ghz CPU overclocked to 2.4ghz
Western Digital 250Gig 16MB cache SATA II HD
Western Digital 250Gig 16MB cache SATA II HD

Rest of the components are not necessary to be mentioned for my current issue.

I'm having a hard time to get the raid controller to work! Please help. I don't know if others are having the same problem with this board's raid feature, or if someone on this forum have got this motherboard to do raid before, if so, please tell me how!!!

Anyways, I just setup raid in BIOS first, which involves pressing F10 during boot and set the 2 HD's to be raid 0 stripping, and the motherboard sees them as one big 500Gig HD, then I reboot and insert the XP Pro SP2 integrated disc to install Windows. The problem I'm having is that if I don't hit F6 during Windows setup, the raid controller do not see any HD's, and if press F6 and install manufacture's raid controllers it sees the big 500HD, but after formating it says "cannot copy nvraid.sys file" or some other file that's related to the raid controller. I can never install windows with raid turned on, but I can install windows on one of the HD's just fine. Weired.

BTW I already updated the BIOS version to the latest one offered on Asus' website, and I tried to make the raid controller floppy disks with "make disc" function from the driver CD that came with the motherboard, or copied raid files directly onto a floppy then install them by pressing F6 during install, neither worked.

Anyone have an idea please let me know at your earliest convenience!!

Thanks

Alpha

Edited by alphaethan, 31 March 2007 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your nvradid.sys file it can't copy is on the floppy disk. You're not taking the disk out before the computer restarts first time are you? That may explain why it can't copy the file as its on the floppy. Alternatively the (floppy) disk is damaged and the file sits on a bad sector.

alphaethan

alphaethan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for replying Neil, but the computer doesn't restart before I encounter the problem. When Windows XP CD finish formatting the RAID 0 array disks it wants to dump files on to the HD's for setup, that's when it has trouble copying files. In other words, I did not exit the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death:) yet before the problem arises. However, in the situation you are describing, it's strange that this new motherboard made by Asus don't have a problem restarting EVEN if there IS a floppy in the floppy drive.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If a computer is having trouble copying files, its almost always down to a faulty stick of memory. Best solution is to grab this at http://www.memtest.org/ and run it for a few hours, assuming that the installation media isn't heavily scratched and everything else is brand new and working.