Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Crashes in XP

• Please log in to reply

Kyomi

Kyomi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This all didn't happen till I reformatted to get rid of everything that was clogged.

What happens is that I'll be going about my business and suddenly everything freezes, no BSOD or anything it just hangs and the only thing that happens is that I can hear "pulses" of static noise (think of when you have your TV on and theres nothing on that channel.. almost that kind of static). Now I thought this was something to do with the sound card... so I updated it all and blew out my PC and it stopped for a bit then it started again. It will even do it without sound or music going so I don't think it's the sound card. I did do a memtest on it a bit ago when this was happening and it found nothing. I'm lost on what to do now.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sounds like the power supply unit is faulty or some connection is loose. With the power turned off open the computer and double check that all the cables and cards are tightly secured.

If still no good download Everest (link below). Run it and click Computer > Sensor. Please report voltages and temperatures. Don't make a full report, just this data.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I didn't see any link to Everest.. so I googled and I hope this is the right one

http://www.lavalys.c...p...=UE&lang=en

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

I didn't see any link to Everest.. so I googled and I hope this is the right one

http://www.lavalys.c...p...=UE&lang=en

This one that is in his sig. Everest

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh okay.. well here they are

Temperatures
Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
CPU 42 °C (108 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 30 °C (86 °F)
Maxtor 6Y120P0 23 °C (73 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 7258 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.65 V
+3.3 V 2.91 V
+5 V 4.78 V
+12 V 12.04 V
-12 V -12.12 V
-5 V -5.25 V
+5 V Standby 4.75 V
VBAT Battery 3.30 V

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Voltages look quite normal except for 3.3 volt which is too low. Temperatures are ok. Please do the following:

With the side cover removed listen carefully and try to locate where the ststic noise comes from. Is it from the hard disk? the video card? the power supply unit?

If possible replace the monitor temporarilly and see what happens.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I'll put my money on a failing power supply. Also, your case may not be properly grounded, if possible switch out the components to another case and see if that eliminates the static.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I probably should of clarified this earlier and I apologize.. the static isn't coming from the machine hardware.... it's coming through the speakers (if I have them on) and the headphones. A simple restart fixes the problem for a while.... then when I think it's gone.. it starts again.

awhile = more then a few hours probably about 6-8.

EDIT: I'll check and see if I have another monitor around here somewhere.. I'll post the results afterwards :whistling:

Edited by Kyomi, 02 April 2007 - 07:46 PM.

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No luck with the monitor.... although I have found a strange thing that usually works about 98% of the time.

When windows XP boots up and gets to the logon screen where you can select a user... if I immediately put in password and log on.... most of the time it'll stay up for hours.... but if I let it sit at the logon screen for just 5 mins... it'll crash in the same way as it has been happening.

I'll post the voltages again because I think they've changed >.>

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6712
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures
Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 29 °C (84 °F)
Maxtor 6Y120P0 23 °C (73 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 7258 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.66 V
+3.3 V 2.90 V
+5 V 4.78 V
+12 V 12.16 V
-12 V -12.20 V
-5 V -5.25 V
+5 V Standby 4.80 V
VBAT Battery 3.30 V

EDIT: I luckily had Everest open when it just crashed like 2 mins after posting this (makes about 5 times tonight >.<)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.65 V
+3.3 V 2.90 V
+5 V 4.81 V
+12 V 12.10 V
-12 V -12.12 V
-5 V -5.25 V
+5 V Standby 4.80 V
VBAT Battery 3.30 V

Don't know if this helps or not but I thought it might be useful..
Do you also think it could be the wall plug I have it plugged into? Because it's worked fine on 3 others that I had it plugged into before and a couple months here and then it just started flaking out :/

Edited by Kyomi, 16 April 2007 - 11:14 PM.