Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't restart - black screen

• Please log in to reply

curtwalker

curtwalker

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a freshly reformatted (NTFS) hard drive with Windows XP just installed. This problem first manifested itself after the very first prompt to restart the system after installing windows. Upon restarting, instead of the Windows screen (green bar moving left to right) a black screen appears. Restarting after this point reproduces the problem.

The only thing that seems to cure it is to walk away for an hour or so. After this time has passed the system will boot up normally and Windows XP will load. Following this first successful boot of Windows I went ahead and installed all of my drivers (mobo, Vid card, sound card, etc.) thinking that this might enable the system to restart properly. It did not. I restarted the system after all the drivers were loaded and again the black screen.

What could cause this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the default (not quick) format

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

If memtest is clear then I would start over because the error is likely to haunt the installation

This is optional but will wipe the drive comprehensively

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith,

Thanks for the assistance. To answer your question, I did the full blown format, NOT the quick format.

I will follow your links and instructions and then get back to you with some results.

Thanks!
Curt

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith,

Ran memtest - no errors.

Made a bootable CD of DBAN. I booted with it and followed the interactive mode to start a session. The session ended immediately with "non-fatal errors". It seemed to want a floppy disk, but my floppy drive is bad as it turns out.

Should I bother to replace the floppy or do I have a bigger problem here?

The reoccurring no-restart problem seems like it might be heat related. Only time passing will cure it. I wonder if there is a problem with my motherboard and overheating a certain component. The mobo is MSI K8N SLI nVidia chipset.

Thanks,
Curt

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just read this in the users guide for DBAN:

SATA drivers for new computers will be added to DBAN as they are published for Linux. Drivers for Microsoft Windows are incompatible with DBAN and cannot be added to DBAN.

Both of my HDs are SATA, so it seems like this would pose a problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check if the hard drive manufacturer has a set up utility, if so, use their write zeros to drive option

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith,

Thanks again, I will do so and get back to you. In the meantime I'm having a new problem. There is NO sound. I've already read several threads on this exact same problem - no sound after a fresh reinstallation of Windows XP. Everyone seems to get their problem solved by installing up to date drivers.

I have already installed my Sound Blaster drivers from the CD. I have also had Windows check for updated drivers and it reports that it can't find a better match.

Any suggestions? I really feel like it is a driver problem because of so many other people having the exact same problem and getting it fixed with new drivers. Where could I download some directly?

Thanks!
Curt

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith,

I downloaded an ISO file from Western Digital containing the write zeroes to drive utility. After buring it to a CD I was successful in booting my extra 80gb HD with the CD and running the utility (I should clarify that my other HD is the one that currently has Windows XP installed with no sound. This same HD will not restart Windows. I must shut down and leave it alone for 15-20 minutes and then come back to boot up).

It took about 30 minutes for the write zeroes utility to complete. After that I reinserted the Windows XP disc and booted for another attempt at installation. My original problem returned - it got to the point of "setup is starting windows" and then went no further.

Keith, please comment on my hunch - there is a problem on my motherboard, perhaps something is locally overheating? So far I have gotten two seperate hard drives to exhibit the exact same symptom while trying to install Windows. I finally succeeded in installing it on one of them, but now that same installation will not restart on command, and also has a sound problem. My logic with the overheating problem is simply that the only thing that seems to cure the problems is if I shut down and let it cool for 15-20 minutes. I have yet to see the PC not boot windows after doing the cool down ritual.

Is it possible for a locally-overheating motherboard component to prevent windows from installing correctly AND prevent a successful installation of windows from restarting correctly?

Thanks for your continued help and patience, Keith.

Curt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Your thoughts on heat are reasonable, especially when leaving it off to cool down make the difference

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Look on the right for temperatures

Check the BIOS setting is not for onboard sound

Creative have auto update for a lot of their cards

http://www.creative.com/support/

Click auto software update and turn pop up blockers off

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Regarding the no sound problem, I followed the advice of another poster and unchecked the box in the EAX console for "digital output only". This fixed it.