Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore and .msc files not working

• Please log in to reply

Andyjl

Andyjl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry if this is rather long winded but I just kept stumbling onto problem after problem.

1.This started this morning after trying to play a video game (one that i have played hundreds of times with no problem) and noticing the cursor jumping around and the entire game running slow. After trying a few more games and programs, I realized that it was happening to all games almost any other program except explorer. I ran a quick virus scan and it found a trojan, deleted it but it didnt fix anything.

2.I figured I would use SR and fix the problem. I tried to start SR but I got the error message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again." Tried restarting but that did nothing. So there problem #2.

3.I then tried to access Computer Management under admin tools and got the error "MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc. This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created with a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. " This message comes up whenever I try to access any of the .msc files.

I haved tried various different fixes but nothing has worked plus I have no idea if these problems are related or seperate. I also am not sure of how long the SR has been messed up since I have only used it once in the past three years. Obviously problems 2 and 3 are more important to fix first but whatever help you guys can give would be great!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which fixes have you already tried

Andyjl

Andyjl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For SR I tried installing C:\WINDOWS\inf\sr.inf from the windows xp CD but it kept saying I had the wrong cd. I tried starting in safe mode but that gave me the same error. I ran sfc/scannow with my windows cd but that did nothing.

For the .msc problem I ran sfc/scannow and nothing happened. I checked to make sure that the files were really there, which they are. Then I tried to start>run mmc and added the device manager to the empty console but itgives me an error message when I tried to save that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you do not get a wrong disc error, this is probably as quick as chasing through the system

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update