Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Surge Protector

• Please log in to reply

snickers

snickers

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I was wondering what type of surge protector is recommended? What specifications would be recommended?
I currently have the Belkin F5C572-TEL SurgeMaster; 7 Outlet; 752 Joules; 20k Warranty, and was wondering if that was good enough, or if I need to buy an upgrade?

Advertisements

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
How much is your computer worth? over 20K? Also remeber your surge protector doesn't protect against brown outs and black outs. Any computer over 1K should probably have a UPS (universal power supply)(not necessary though).

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
The computer is 5 years old and is worth under 1K. Would that surge protector be okay? What number of joules is recommended? Is 752 enough??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its not the worth of the computer...a 5 year old isn't worth very much...its the data and programs and the setting you have that you need to protect...
752 Joules; is minimal ...I can get a 2100 Joules for 15 bucks at any local big box store...

might want to check out the attached file to get yourself up to speed...