Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new Laptop Ram now crashes

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I bought my girlfriend some RAM for her laptop, she had 256mb, and i put in another 512mb, the laptop can take 1gb, i also matched the RAM exactly what she had, same speed etc, i even bought the same make.

She claims that her laptop now ramdomly freezes, after we put it in! thats all i know for now,

oh yeah and its a Sempron 2800+

any deas what could be causing these freezes? they are completely random

Thanks once again!!!!!

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sounds like the memory you purchased may be bad. take it out, and see how the laptop runs without it in. if it stops freezing, then cool. put the memory BACK into the machine, and see if it starts up freezing again. if it does, then your memory could very well be bad.

proceed to return it to the shop and trade it in for another stick of memory. hopefully the next one should work fine.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
that was my thoughts, i will get her to run MemTest or something and see what teh results are.

It has never freezes whilst i been using it, but only when she uses it! i don't even think its that often! i will also get her to write down when it crashes, what she was doing etc! see if there is a pattern!

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
good ideas, let me know what you come up with. =)