Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing My Documents from command prompt

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
How do I access My Documents from command prompt? Seeing if I can run a program inside the command prompt to run.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to learn the file and folder name conventions for ms-dos, how to properly shorten the names. You use the first six letters of the name with a tilde ~1, ~2, etc. for the first, second, and so on, files with those first six letters. You may find it a lot easier just to put the .exe in a folder in the root of the drive with a short name.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...when issueing paths in either CMD or the run box...if the path has a space....you need to put the whole path in ""

so "my documents" would be

"c:\documents and settings\<User Name>\my documents\"

also...a little known fact....if you open up a folder in explorer...then open up a command prompt...you can run a program (or at least drop the full path to it) into the command prompt by just dragging that file over to the command window...