Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Boot Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Snarles

Snarles

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently had some issues with my HP Notebook PC running Windows XP. I was having trouble with it, it wouldnt boot Windows. I finally got it to, I dont know how. Then I performed a System Restore for about 3 months prior to that date. It was working fine for about 2 days then next time I turned it on it gave me two error messages.

Both of these messages came after the "Windows" logo...with the little bar that shows its loading...

My computer then displays the default background for the computer (when you first buy it) with this message:

"The application failed to start because SCESRV.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix the problem".

When I click okay, it then displays this message:

"The application failed to start because cryptdll.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix the problem".

When I click okay to that message, my computer will just sit there on a blank desktop indefinitely.

I read one of the threads about the SCESRV.dll message and understand it but I want to be sure it will work with the other message as well. Thank you very much!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Here is a topic with the same problem and a solution. Try starting here. If is does not work we can try something different.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=87766

Snarles

Snarles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried that and after about an hour of running the check it gave me the same error messages. I know that I could easily reformat my computer but I want to do something so that I can keep all of my important files. Please, if you know any other way, please help.

Also, just a side note, it will not boot in safe mode either.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What was done in those 2 days after the system restore.

Snarles

Snarles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing was done. That should have been my high sign to back upi my files.

I did however uninstall a bunch of programs that popped back up that I didnt want on there.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Something that you can try is go into the recovery console and run a chkdsk /r

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and run scesrv.dll from here.

crypt.dll is a file that belongs to Musicmatch. You can download the software from here. If you have it installed on your computer please remove the old installation before you install the new one.