Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded my memory Everything Great Now Slow

• Please log in to reply

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello :blink:
I have recently Upgraded my Memory as my Computer was running very very Slow and everything seamed Great as it logged into windows very quick i Installed a game and Everything became Really Slow i had this problem before which was part of the reason i upgraded but now it's back to running slow as now it takes 10 to 15 Minutes just to load Windows and then another 5 to 10 for the Icons to Load in i am a complete Novice with Computers what can i do i would appreciate any advice Thank you

p.s I have also uninstalled the Game
Scottish Cougar :whistling:

Edited by scottish cougar, 04 April 2007 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Get rid of the game and return your PC to it's previous state by performing a "System Restore" at "Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. "Choose "restore my PC to a previous state" then from the calendar view choose a date just before you installed the game.

If for any reason the SR doesn't work (as sometimes happens) just uninstall the game at "Add/Remove Programs" and see if that alone makes your PC run faster again.

Do not be tempted to re-install the game at some future point. Evidently your PC, for whatever reason, does not like it. Some games need loads of extra memory on the graphics card too, not just plenty of system RAM. A PC capable of playing any modern game has to have some serious power in several key areas and costs serious money compared to a general-purpose PC.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello pip22
Thank you for answering my post i really appreciate it I done a System restore and it said it was successful but things are Not any better so I have uninstalled the game from add/remove but that didn't help either so done all of the above and then restarted my Computer but it is still taking 10 minutes just to load Windows as it go to the windows screen the Black screen flashes up and then it loads the Blue Screen and stay on that screen for 10 minutes on it own and then the Welcome Screen comes up and it five Minutes at this time the Screen goes Blue with nothing on it but the Arrow for the Mouse and it loads in and then it takes another 5 minutes to load the Icons and then programs on the Desktop any Advice would be great. I did think it might be a good idea to do a Repair Install but would i lose any Documents or Photos or anything like that and What do you think has happened and the best course of Action would be. Thank You

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "upgraded memory". Did you change the memory modules to a faster type? Did you just add another module?

Go to: start > control panel > system. Under the General tab you will see the type of cpu and the amount of memory that you have in your computer.

Enter BIOS (usually by tapping del or F2 keys repeatedly after startup until BIOS table are shown. Set to default, or safe values, confirm, click F10 to save and exit BIOS, let the computer run.

Edited by The Skeptic, 05 April 2007 - 12:31 PM.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello The Skeptic
Thank you for Answering my post What i mean by Upgraded is i had 500 MB OF Ram Memory and Installed a New 512 MB Stick of Ram Memory so Now have 1 GB of Memory Installed in my Computer i also was messing about with the computer last night and i think i found the Problem i have an External Drive which when i unplugged it and restarted the Computer booted up straight away i have since discovered that this Drive is full but the computer now cannot detect it i am clueless about computers but kean to learn could i reformat this External Drive what do you think is the best course of Action to take any Advice would be greatly appreciated Thank You

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First you have to make sure that the disk is recognised in "my computer" otherwise you won't be able to do much. I assume that the disk is usb connected. Please try to move the cable to another usb port. Make sure that the power supply to the disk is well connected, the switch is on and the indicator led is lit. If still no good check with another device to make sure that usb ports work.

If you want to format the disk go to "my computer", right click on the disk icon, choose "format" from the menu. Before anything else make sure to backup any important data. Once formatted there is no way back.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, ya The Skeptic
I have been trying to get this drive to Format but no luck so far the answer to your question Yes it is Connected by USB and i did change the port as well and yes it does work when i go to "my computer", right click on the disk icon, choose "format" nothing happens but when i checked the
properties it shows under Used space the is Blue 00.0 GB and the same in Free Space 00.0 GB i would Appreciate any Advice you can give me. Thank You

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This external disk what is it? Is it an external usb connected cd drive or is it usb connected external hard disk? You get 0 used space and 0 free space when you have a cd drive with no disk inside.

Do you have a driver for this device? If yes, reinstall it.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, ya The Skeptic
It is a usb connected external hard disk with no disk inside it and i get 0 used space and 0 free space so what do you think i should do next. Thank you

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you write down the make and model, please?

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, ya The Skeptic
i think it's Philips E300041External Hard Disk not sure if this the Model number or not i hope this is right. Thank you

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I find nothing in google about such model. I assume it's a external dvd recorder. Do you have a driver (installation cd, for this matter) for this device?

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, ya The Skeptic
The External Hard Disk i have is a Philip's make as the name is embossed on the top of it i don't remember the Model Number as i don't have the box anymore but you cannot insert any Disks into it i think it's like a plug and play go thing so i don't have a Driver for it and i don't think it needs one but i could be wrong i was looking around last night and i think the Model number is SPD5110CC/05 or thats close to it so the of the rest of info it is 250 GB USB 2.0 only just a year old i hope this explains it more clearly as i am a complete Novice at this computer stuff but really Kean to Learn more Thank you for your Time and your Patients.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, I found the disk with the new details that you supplied. It seems to be a general purpose usb hard disk that does not require drivers. Please connect the disk to another computer and see what happens. At the same time insert another usb device to the slot on your computer to make sure that the usb is working well.