Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POWER OPTIONS (SCHEMES) FOR DESKTOP - WHICH IS BEST?

• Please log in to reply

Eldemila

Eldemila

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've tried to read a bit on how to configure the power options, but it appears to be quite vague on what's the best setting for the computers power schemes.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best setting to put them at?

With a home desktop is it better to put it at HOME/OFFICE DESK or ENERGY STAR - or something else?

With the SETTINGS, how should the MONITOR, HARD DRIVE and STAND BY be set? How about HIBERNATE should it always be used or should it only be used with certain settings?

I'm on and off the computer most of the day (leaving it on all day). Lately I've had an issue with the computer and not sure if maybe the settings were changed and has something to do with the way the computer has been acting - either way, I'd like to know what the optimal setting would be.

Thanks for any guidance!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You will hear different opinions about the subject so i'll offer mine (a desktop).

1: If you leave the computer running 24/7 then I think that this is a mistake. I could never understand what it's good for (for a stand alone computer. I am not talking about servers and netwoprks). Chances (statistically speaking) are that you will have more dust clogging fans and heatsinks, more wear on bearings of fans and disks and simple waste of electricity. Switch the computer off at least for the night (or if at work, after you leave work)

2: If you use the computer for small office or at home set power schemes to home/office desk.

3: I turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. Saves power and prolong monitor life.

4: I turn off HD after 1 hour. I don't want to restart it too often so I found the 1 hour suitable.

5: I set system standby to 1 hour.

6: hibernation is disabled.

Eldemila

Eldemila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, appreciate the input.

I'm trying to turn it off at night, better for the computer AND I'm trying to save on the electric bill.

The problem I'm having is that when I come back to the computer, and my screen saver is running, when I move the mouse to bring it back, I get the BLUE SCREEN for about 35 seconds, then it goes to the WINDOWS USER SCREEN, which I click on my name, it shows the timer and takes another 35 seconds to get back to where I was.

This just started happening recently and I haven't a clue why, what may have changed, or what may change (like computer crashing slowly????)

Anyhow, I changed the settings - will see what happens.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I pretty much follow the same power setup as The Skeptic except that I don't use Standby. I also never use a screensaver and instead let the monitor power off after 20 minutes of inactivity. To me all the screensaver does is waste energy.