Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using my laptop to act as a monitor for my pc

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Here is my question.... or better yet, here is what i want to accomplish.

I no longer have a monitor for my desktop computer. I do however have a laptop. Is there anyway to view the contents of my desktop computer through my laptop.

Just in case anyone need the specs, which i think you dont really need.
Laptop is running windows vista basic and the computer is running windows xp pro....

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
about the only way I can think of that might be accomplished is if you networked the two and remoted into the desktop... not what you are realy looking for... as far as I know with out tearing apart your laptop and jury rigging the display there is no way to directly input from a computer to the display of the laptop.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
first of all thanks for the fast reply and i kinda thought that was that i had to do, however, i did not want to do it. Big problem, i am having major problems networking my laptop to my pc. The funny thing is, at my girls house, it works perfectly.

Any help on how to do this

my laptop has windows vista home premium and my desktop computer has windows xp pro... im guessin i should go into the networking forum huh

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah you might want to do that.... unfortunately networking is not my forte especially when dealing with vista...

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
check out this web site i found on Google (best thing in the world) http://www.daniweb.c.../thread723.html

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi mrq201

I suggest you start a new topic in the networking forum, then either myself or someone else will help you out there