Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with upgrading windows XP

• Please log in to reply

scottkyn

scottkyn

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would like to attempt to upgrade my computer a bit, but I have no idea where to even start. I can follow directions very well and don't usually have problems keeping up, but I just don't know what to do on my own.

Over the last few months, my computer has just been getting slower and slower. Doesn't freeze up too terribly often, but it does from time-to-time. I've run many anti-malware and anti-spyware programs every couple weeks, but even after the cleaning process my computer is still just as slow. I'm kind of under the impression that it's just time for an upgrade since there are two adults and three children that use the computer, and maybe it just needs to be sped up. Any suggestions would be appreciated though.

Also, I've been having trouble with my CD-RW drive. Sometimes it works fine and others not. Lots of times it just stops responding and won't even eject the CD that is in it when pushing the open button, so I have to go to D drive and click "eject disk" to get it out. Once it's out, it's still reading like the disk is in there yet even if a different disk is put in. I'm not sure where to even start to try to fix that, but I'd like to install a DVD drive, so figured I could just replace one with the other anyway.

If anybody has any idea what I'm talking about and is able to help, that would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know what you need to know as far as my computer goes.

I have a Dell Dimension 4550
Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
1.99 GHz, 256 MB or RAM

D drive is HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B

Anything else that is needed, just let me know, and I'll try to find out any information I can.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Scottkyn
:help: Welcome to Geeks To Go The first thing is how Old is your Computer you could try This Tuneup that cleans things up a bit on you Computer as for your CD-RW drive sounds like it could be failing and you might have to renew it and looking at your Memory it is Low if you Only have 1 Stick of Memory ( 256 MB ) Depending on how Old your System is you might be better thinking Upgrading it with more Memory or it might be Cheaper to buy a newer Computer but that would be Down to your Budget I hope this answers your Questions let me Know Good Luck

Link for Tune up Utilities
http://www.tune-up.c...neup-utilities/

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink: